X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE won't start properly first time

Can anyone help me with this one

When starting up my pc (Feisty Fawn 7.04) kde will not start properly first time up, just get a blank screen. If however I start up using the recovery console in grub and enter startx at the command line kde starts up fine and logs me on as root (automatically) if I then log out and enter reboot at the command line kde starts up properly and I can log in as the user I created during install. I have checked video and monitor hardware setup and that appears fine. Any one else struck this ?

thanks in advance

Re: KDE won't start properly first time

No.

But it looks like a KDM problem to me. Specially if KDE starts right with startx. Maybe playing with its settings helps.

Do you have autologin enabled?.

Javier.

Comment

I haven't enabled autologin (not sure where you would to be honest)

Any KDM settings that you can suggest ?

cheers

Comment

I will suggest a complete setting restart.

Code:
        $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
        Javier.

Comment

Thank you for your reply - have tried as you suggested but still the same. It seems if I do a reboot from KDE, it restarts with no problem and I can log on, and everything works fine. If I shutdown and then start the PC back up that's when it just goes to a blank (dark) screen

Comment

Problem Solved! While having a tidy up I found an old ATI video card and thought I would pop that in and see what happens. On boot up I got the Kubuntu splash screen/progress bar (missing before) and everything started up as it should. A bit of fine tuning in setup and everything looks great.

So looks like it was an issue with the onboard intel i810 video driver ?

Comment

Originally posted by DTKiwi
              So looks like it was an issue with the onboard intel i810 video driver ?
              It seems quite likely.

Javier.

Comment

Working...
              X