X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with kopete and kstart

Hi,

I'm a new convert to Kubuntu, and I was hoping to make kopete start without creating a taskbar entry. A few Google searches revealed that the proper way to do this would be by typing: kstart --skiptaskbar kopete but this doesn't work for me on Kubuntu 7.04/KDE 3.5.6. This is odd because the same command works as expected with kate or speedcrunch, etc. . . kopete just hates me I think.

Anyway if anyone has any suggestions, or can verify that this doesn't work for them either, I'd appreciate it!

Re: Problem with kopete and kstart

Okay . . . this appears to work:
    kstart --skiptaskbar --window "kopete" kopete

Sorry for the double-post. :P

Comment

Okay . . . nevermind. The command I posted previously only worked once, and I can't replicate it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can others get this to work?

Comment

Hmm... I'm not sure why that only works once, but fire up Kopete and click on the Kopete icon the the far top-left. Click Configure Window Behavior > Window-Specific Settings > New... > Detect > Click on Kopete > Use window class > OK > Preferences > Apply initially > Check the box to the right. This should make Kopete not create a taskbar entry when it gets started.
        For external use only.

Comment

You can create a entry in the folder /home/YOURUSER/.kde/Autostart. Create a link for the application with a right-click>Create New>Link for Application. Or you can go to System Settings>Advanced Tab>Session Manager. Mark the option "Restore previous Section". This will restart all the programs that you leave open in your previous section.

OBS: I am running a Portuguese version of Kubuntu, so the names maybe don't be exactly the same above.
          If you find a grammar error in my text, is because English is not my native language :-)

Comment

Thanks for the tip SheeEttin. I had already tried something similar through kcontrol, but that didn't work either. I just realized that your method (and the kstart method) both work perfectly every time as long as I turn off beryl (probably should've mentioned that I was using this). Your suggestion actually prompted me to turn beryl off since clicking the top left icon in the title bar does nothing under beryl.

Anyway so I guess that solves this problem. If I launch kopete without beryl and then load beryl later, the taskbar entry remains absent, so I'll write a little script to flick back and forth between window managers when I launch kopete. What is really puzzling though is that beryl has no problem with issuing this command for kate, speedcrunch, etc. Strange.

Thanks again for your help (and you too M@GO LoBEL, although that is not really what I was asking . . . sorry if I was unclear)!

Comment

Working...
            X