X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu problem: Conversation with su failed

Hi.

I've recently switched my desktop system from Knoppix to Kubuntu (7.04 Feisty Fawn) and I've run into a problem with KDE su.

After installation, I ran the System Settings -> Network Administration and configured the network. My next step was to update the software packages using Adept-Manager (System -> Adept Manager). However, after entering the correct password, I got the error message "Conversation with su failed". (I'm using the initial user who is a member of the admin group).

After some googling (including these forums), it seems to be a bug that affects KDE rather than specifically Kubuntu. I've found a number of suggested workarounds on some pages (changing kdeglobals, sudoers etc) but they haven't worked.

I've also tried running "kdesu systemsettings" from the Run Command dialog, but the same error appears.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and can you suggest a solution? Rebooting appears to have "fixed" the problem (I again have access to the GUI admin tools) but is this coincidence?

Normally I would do this sort of work using the command line, but for teaching new users I wanted to show how to do things using the GUI first, before introducing the command line.

Any and all suggestions would be gratefully considered!

Thanks and regards,
    Cormac.

Re: Kubuntu problem: Conversation with su failed

I'm a Linux newbie and I'm having the same problems. Rebooting seems to fix it for me too. I tried the solution in the post below, but don't know yet if it has worked:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=116514

Comment

I found out that issuing a "xhost +" makes kdesu to work.

I guess that running kdesu under root without having permission to open applications from the current user makes kdesu fail.

Best regards,
      Cristi.

Comment

Why would you want to run kdesu under "root"?

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Well you won't. I was just guessing, I'm happy it works for me. I should put it in my .bashrc so that I don't have to type it before I need something done with kdesu.

Comment

P.S. I like that xhost + solution... I use it now instead of rebooting!

Comment

Working...
            X