This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept Updater Problems?

I got the notice in the taskbar about updates today. (New Samba I think) Clicked on it and Adept pops up, and searches for updates. I tell it to apply the updates and it starts. It keeps stopping after maybe each 10% on each file. I have to kill the updater and restart the process. Adept continues from where it left off. ( I have noticed that if I let it go awhile, it will give an error and move on to the next file)I have to repeat this maybe 4-5 times for each file that's being downloaded.

Anyone else seeing this. It's really annoying.

Re: Adept Updater Problems?

Same problem here. It did it to me this time and it's done it before. Just thought it was my internet connection or something. Maybe something else is going on. I'm not sure what it could be though as everything else seems to work fine.

david

Comment

Hmm. That is odd.
      I myself haven't seen it as I haven't used Adept recently, mainly just apt-get.

What you can do is (from a console) run "sudo apt-get update" (if necessary) then "sudo apt-get upgrade". Hopefully, if it also happens with apt-get, you'll see some useful output.
      For external use only.

Comment

I had a similar problem before. The problem was that adept would crap out when it tried to resolve a domain name (like ubuntu.com) into its ip address. The problem was that my system had identified my router as the first DNS server, and my router didn't do DNS and apparently couldn't tell adept to use another DNS server in the list properly. So the fix, at least for me, was to go in to my network settings and delete the address of my router (192.168.0.1) from the DNS list and put in the IP address of a good DNS server. Never had the problem again.

Comment

Synaptic seems to sort things out easier than adept. I would suggest you try that.
          I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Well I had my router set up with DNS relay enabled. In my network settings (in Kubuntu) I noticed the DNS was automatically set to the router ip. I then disabled DNS relay and now my network settings show two different DNS servers. (from my isp bellsouth I assume) The problem still happens. I also tried downloading some programs through synaptic on another computer (through same router) which is running Ubuntu. Same problem. It just stops downloading. I have to hit cancel, then apply again to get it to continue. I don't know much about networking so I am lost on this. BTW, regular surfing is never a problem. Just downloading files. It's almost like the network just stalls and has to be restarted. I also tried an experiment. I started firefox and loaded a web page that continually refreshes itself. If I left it open during downloading programs, they would come through just fine without stalling. I have no idea what this means or even why I did it. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks in advance.

david

Comment

I'd guess connection loss.
              Can you descirbe your network? Include everything between your computer and outside your house.
              For external use only.

Comment

Here's an experiment:

Select a URL for a download or file that is affected by this problem, like maybe "ubuntu.com/something.big"

Open a konsole window and type "ping domain" where domain is the domain name only of the URL you just selected. So above it would be "ubuntu.com"

In the konsole window you should start seeing values that tell you how long it takes for a signal to get reflected from that domain. Just let that run.

While the "ping" is still running in the konsole window, go use whatever you use to download the file and see if you have any problems. If it downloads no problem, then it is probably some sort of DNS issue, at least it was for me.

You can also do this with the "apt-get update" or "adept" stuff too. Just figure out which particular repository adept is getting hung up on, and then replace the "URL" and "domain" above with the domain of the repository that is getting hung up.

Good luck

Comment

Turns out I had my router as the dns like gypsy98101. I set my dns for my isp dns servers and the problem has gone away

Comment

Glad you got yours figured out ebtech. I'm trying out your dns test gypsy. So far it's working. I tried downloading ubuntu 5 times. All stalled at some point during download. Now I'm downloading while pinging the domain and it's still working. As I said before though, my dns listing on my computer shows two servers which I'm assuming are set from my isp(bellsouth). Is this correct? I don't have any servers set in my router. It just has zero's. I have read that bellsouth has really bad dns servers. Can someone explain why a dns server would cause this sort of a problem? Also, I'm using a d-link dwl-650+ wireless card in my laptop, a d-link wbr-1310 wireless router hooked to a westell dsl modem. My desktop is directly connected to the router. And just to be clear, this problem happens during any download, not just in adept. btw, what does everyone think about opendns. I don't want to use it but this problem is really bad.

Thanks again for the help.

david

Comment

I'm not sure how this problem would be caused by something with DNS, but apparently it does.

If you think your ISP's DNS servers are bad, you can use some alternatives. Here's my /etc/resolv.conf:
                      Code:
                      nameserver 68.87.71.226
                      nameserver 68.87.73.242
                      nameserver 67.102.133.222
                      The first two are Comcast DNS servers, and the third is an OpenDNS server. (I noticed a rather large delay with that one, so I bumped it down. There are others available.)
                      For external use only.

Comment

Well, I'm glad I was able to help someone. Feels nice.
                        I think this problem is actually some sort of larger bug that manifests itself in strange ways. The problem appears to only occur when some app, like adept, is trying to resolve domains into IP addresses. The "ping" trick I mention above really shouldn't have any effect at all. But it does. I'm just not smart enough to understand how that translates to what the real problem is...

Comment

My best guess is that it may have something to do with DNS caching.

gypsy, we're glad you could help too. Kudos!
                          For external use only.

Comment

Might have been a different cause for me, but when Adept did that to me I looked in "/var/cache/apt/archives/partial/" directory and I noticed that even it it appears like it has hung, it is still slowly trying to pull the files. I changed to the "us"mirrors and I have never looked back 8)

I also use Synaptic and apt-get
                            Love; joy; peace; patience; kindness; goodness; faithfulness; gentleness; self control

Comment

Working...
                            X