This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I disable password prompt

I am newbie to kbuntu and Linux itself I have installed it etc.. and running it now my first question is there anyway to get rid of this annoying prompt for password for anything that I do? This is a major turn off. Or is there a way that I can permanently set the password so that it will keep asking me for one.

This comes up when you install something or click to use adept manager

Re: How do I disable password prompt

Well, that's a security feature to make sure users (even trusted ones) don't make Really Bad Changes™. It wouldn't take much to make such a change that you can't use your system.

I guess the easiest way to not have to enter your password would be to log on as root, but that's extremely dangerous and I'm not going to tell you how to do it (not right now, anyway).
    The next best way would be to modify your sudoers file so that you don't need a password. This will be a bit tricky for a first-time Linux user, so bear with me. (I assume you know how to use a console.)

Execute "sudo visudo". This will prompt for your password. Now, find the line starting with "%admin". Mine reads "%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL". Assuming yours matches, modify it to read "%admin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL". Now press Ctrl+X, then Y, then remove the ".tmp" (i.e. hit backspace four times) and hit Enter. Hit Y one last time. (Huh, that was excessively complicated.) With any luck, this will not prompt you for your password any more.

Again, the concept of sudo is a security feature, and I don't recommend bypassing it, but it's your computer.
    For external use only.

Comment

I have to concur. I got used to that little annoyance quickly.

It is small compared to breaking your system unadvertadly.

But then again sheeEttin is right it is your computer.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

AMEN 1 down many to go thanks

Comment

Just a little reading which may explain things a bit better.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
          I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Working...
          X