This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept Manager - changed look?

When I installed Kubuntu yesterday, Adept showed the packages in a list down the middle of the windows, with icons for each program, and a list of categories on the left, and package descriptions on the right. There was the menu with Adept, View, Settings, & Help across the top, but there were not buttons below the bar. It all worked okay, but I couldn't find any way to add additional repositories, or view dependencies, and no libraries or documentation packages showed in the list, so I made a mental note to ask on here about it.

Well, two of my brothers have accounts on this same computer, and one of them opened Adept sometime this morning, and found that the interface was completely changed! Now the packages have no icons next to them, but a little arrow which you can click, revealing the package description, and a button to view dependencies. The categories are now on the right, without the big icons, and there is a row of buttons across the top beneath the taskbar, listed Fetch Updates, Preview Changes, Apply Changes, Full Upgrade, Undo & Redo. What's more, the dropdown menus contain many more entries, including capabilities for managing repositories!

I think the old interface was prettier, but I like not having a dumbed-down system and being able to add repositories and view dependencies, so I'm not complaining, but what happened? I did a few upgrades today and yesterday, but I'm certain Adept was not among them. Is the thing reading my mind? Do the developers provide users with a simple interface at first to not scare them off, and then switch to the more complex one later? Or what's going on?

Re: Adept Manager - changed look?

That's the funny thing about Adept. It's got different parts to it.

The previous one is adept_installer, the dumbed-down version in the K menu. The one you see now is adept_manager, a much more powerful version.
    I'm not sure how it switched from one to the other, but you can get either one by executing it (i.e. adept_manager, adept_installer...).
    For external use only.

Comment

Re: Adept Manager - changed look?

I figured it out myself too, about an hour ago. And it didn't really switch from one to the other - it was just that I had clicked on K Menu -> Add/Remove Programs the first few times, and on K Menu -> System -> Adept Manager the other times, and didn't realize the difference. Funny.

Comment

Working...
      X