This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.0 Repository

Hi guys, just signed up here as a new tester for KDE 4.0 on Kubuntu... a few questions regarding the repository provided on the website:

Does your KDE 4 repository notify the user of changes and updates automatically?
    Is the repository changing along with KDE 4.0 svn?
    Is your one repository expected to be used across Alpha and Beta releases?

Cheers, Tehhaxorr.
    Does your KDE 4 repository notify the user of changes and updates automatically?
    Is the repository changing along with KDE 4.0 svn?
    Is your one repository expected to be used across Alpha and Beta releases?

Cheers, T

Re: KDE 4.0 Repository

I don't think it does, at least at this very early stage. It definitely will not follow svn changes, only official releases from KDE. Probably, as new alpha, and then beta releases are out, there will be new repositories added, and (as has been the case with other things in the past) once it is in a more stable state, there may be a new repository called something along the lines of kde4-latest. But that won't be for a while, I am sure.

Comment

1. The repository does get automatically updated and you will be notified. Any deb repository behaves that way. Of course, provided you have the packages installed.

2. It doesn't update that regularly, and definitely doesn't sync with SVN (which is a moving target). Kubuntu usually packages binaries for milestone releases (3.80.x, Alpha, etc.) only. But fixes to the packages are also uploaded to the repository. It might make more sense to learn how to build KDE 4 from SVN if you really want to be up to date.

3. No. The repository names are arbitrary and might change for each release.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Ok thanks for the answers. Do you know of any resources regarding building KDE 4.0 from SVN, Specifically on the ubuntu base, i've found one or two regarding OpenSuse.

Comment

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4

Take note, though, that building KDE 4 from source requires a lot of work and patience. It is not a simple task and is probably not worth it at this point of time unless you are going to do development work on KDE 4. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Anyone else having problems running KDE 4 based on the announcement instructions? I followed it entirely, and KDE 4 does not run at all.

Comment

Working...
            X