This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I create a Makefile?

I'm trying to practice on some simple decorator modifying. I'm trying to follow advice given in

http://developer.kde.org/documentati...le_am_howto/en

but I am missing something as the explicit way to create a Makefile doesn't work.

$ create_makefile plastik
    /usr/bin/create_makefile: in the current directory there is no Makefile
    you will have to run it from the top build dir.
    if you do not have a Makefile there - rerun configure
    is there a way to compile just a small part of KDE?

Re: How do I create a Makefile?

Hi,

Normally, there will be a file called 'configure' in the directory, you run this file by typing ./configure and that will be build the Makefile- if you have all the software installed to build the project.

To build software in linux you will need the build-essentials package and a few others. You will also need all the development packages (dev) that the project needs.

Google for 'linux building from source howto' etc and you should find a lot of help on the subject.

To be honest, the need to build from source is pretty rare these days, there is probably a kubuntu deb package already built. From konsole try: apt-cache search your-package-name and you will probably find that you can just download it with apt.

Cheers,

davidlondon

Comment

I find it funny how people say that. I do, so it seems, an inordinate amount of compiling for the average user.

Just the other day, I compiled Sauerbraten. I've compiled several other things, too (recompiling NetHack gets done often), but I doubt I'd be able to name them all.
      For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by davidlondon
        Hi,

Normally, there will be a file called 'configure' in the directory, you run this file by typing ./configure and that will be build the Makefile- if you have all the software installed to build the project.

To build software in linux you will need the build-essentials package and a few others. You will also need all the development packages (dev) that the project needs.

Google for 'linux building from source howto' etc and you should find a lot of help on the subject.

To be honest, the need to build from source is pretty rare these days, there is probably a kubuntu deb package already built. From konsole try: apt-cache search your-package-name and you will probably find that you can just download it with apt.

Cheers,

davidlondon
        Thanks, for your effort, but I know all about the standard configure make dance I've been doing it for a long time. The thing that has me mystified here is that there is no configure script at the project level in the KDE source tree. The KDE build process seems to be a top down process so I probably need to build the whole thing.

I know all about building from source, just not the specifics about this build. As for this package the whole point of OSS is that you can get the source, experiment, modify and rebuild ect etc. That's what I want to do here. Probably I either need to download the whole of KDE or perhaps ask in a more specific forum.

Comment

ok, would be better if you said that at first. You need to use autoconf and automake

Comment

Originally posted by davidlondon
            ok, would be better if you said that at first. You need to use autoconf and automake
            well that's exactly the problem

it seems that this tool
            create_makefile (see http://developer.kde.org/documentati...makefile_.html)
            does exactly that, but it seems to require extra information ie a higher level directory. I've also heard rumours about something called Makefile.cvs and admin folders which might need to be copied.

Without further information I guess I need to bootstrap myself with a full checkout of KDE. I'm wondering if there's a way to get exactly the version that Kubuntu 7.04 uses or is that well known?

Comment

Working...
            X