This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had Kubuntu, and it was fine, but then i got Beryl greedy

I added beryl and now it looks like ubuntu, in the top left it even shows the ubuntu logo, and when i ry to log out all the symbols are gone (because they aren't installed? idk it looks dumb)

can i fix this, is it even possible to have beyrl and kubuntu without it looking like ubuntu?

either way next time i loaded the shift screen thing that beryl gave didnt even work anymore so i tried unintalling but it still looks like ubuntu

im prolly going to reinstall but either way id till like the cubed interface and fancy windows that beryl supports, id just like it with a main kubuntu interface

Re: I had Kubuntu, and it was fine, but then i got Beryl greedy

Did you install the Kubuntu specific files? My install of beryl went fine and I have the following installed. (KDE Specific files are italicized)

aquamarine - This is a KDE based window decorator that can be used with Beryl.
    beryl
    beryl-core
    beryl-kubuntu - This package contains sane defaults for Kubuntu
    beryl-manager
    beryl-plugins
    beryl-plugins-data
    beryl-plugins-unsupported
    beryl-plugins-unsupported-data
    beryl-settings
    beryl-settings-bindings
    beryl-settings-simple
    emerald
    emerald-themes
    heliodor
    libberyldecorations0
    libberylsettings0
    libberylsettings0-kconfig - This package contains the KConfig (KDE) settings backend for libberylsettings.
    libemeraldengine0

I have no problem whatsoever with beryl keeping my KDE look as you can see here:
    [img width=400 height=300]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m194/technoshaun/3Ddesktop1.jpg[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by technoshaun

libberyldecorations0
      libberylsettings0
      libberylsettings0-kconfig - This package contains the KConfig (KDE) settings backend for libberylsettings.
      libemeraldengine0
      libberyldecorations0 package could not be found.

-Coldwar55

Comment

The package is libberyldecoration0 sorry I added an s by mistake

--Shaun

Comment

how do you instal that though? im a noob i have no idea what librarys or w.e mean

Comment

Sean, Kubuntu with Beryl can still look pretty much like Kubuntu -- matter of fact, in Beryl Manager you can even pick KDE to be the window decorator and then it is exactly like Kubuntu. So, apparently you accidentally picked up some Ubuntu - GDK stuff when you installed Beryl. Perhaps you selected beryl-ubuntu -- I would guess it would make your desktop look rather gnome-ish.

Are you familiar with the Adept Package Manager? If not, you need to open Kmenu>System>Adept Manager, give it your Super User password, and then work with it a little to understand how the system lists the 20,000+ packages available for your Kubuntu system, how it shows which are installed and which are not, and so forth. I assume that somewhere, most likely in the list of packages following "Beryl", are some that would not necessarily be your choice for your Kubuntu system. If you mark those, and then click "apply" in the top menu for Adept, it will remove them.

Play around with it a little, and you may find you can work your way back to a better desktop. I personally am very satisfied with the Emerald window decorator and the rest of it native Kubuntu, except for a background picture of my own choosing.

If it turns out that your problem is not obviously related to your choice of Beryl-related packages, then get back to us and we'll have a look at what choices you have made with the Beryl Manager, regarding window decorations and behaviors. 8)

Comment

yeah i think the install thing i did was for ubuntu maybe because i couldnt get it kubuntu specific, because google keeps changing it form kubuntu to ubuntu when i search

Comment

okay well i installed all the packages that were listed in the post above and its installed.... but its not like... there

i can see it in menu and the manager opens up but it doesnt actually change anything

any advice, do i need to do something in the terminal or what ever?

Comment

Open the Kconsole and type "beryl-manager" (without the quotes). It will survey your system and report on whether the necessary glx and compositing features are available. If it appears to be happy with your system, then you can close the terminal, and there should be a red Beryl icon on your taskbar. From there, you can open the Beryl Manager and check to see which window decorator is active. In "Beryl Settings", there are about a zillion things to do, so you need to kind of approach it gently, and change only one thing at a time, while observing the effects on your desktop/viewport.

Comment

if its not on or doesn't have the right glx will that install it or do i need to do something else as well?

Comment

Mmm... no, it won't install it.

That part may be rather difficult depending on your video card, but since you already had Beryl once, it shouldn't be much of a problem.
                      For external use only.

Comment

so what do i need to do... i mean its in, i put all the packages in... what do i needa do to make it work

i can access the control panel and crap but it doesnt change the system

Comment

Sean, Beryl is based on the assumption that your video driver is correctly installed and has the glx and compositing features enabled. Probably you need to check out whether that is all true for your system and graphics card or chip.

Comment

i added all the Nvidia driver things so i think it is

i have NVIDIA geforce 4 MX graphics.... how do i come by setting it...

Comment

the only packages i have in are nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel-common

but it shows the logo when i start kubuntu so i think its fine, and it let me access my right resolution

Comment

Working...
                              X