Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now I really do need web-dev software help. Please.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I really do need web-dev software help. Please.

My small company is finally going to make the big switch.

I'm not much intimidated by these OSs other than I'm just unfamiliar with how to use them. About all I need is PuTTY, FTP and a text and WYSIWYG editor, so I think I'm good to go.

My wife, different story...

She processes large image files, huge graphics (like for the sides of buses) chops and edits video (and DVD), builds web graphics, slices html, makes .SWF files, things like that. She's sure enough a pro web designer.

In the past, she's done all the OS support for me, I'm 'fraid of WinBlows. Now, I work in shell some for my work, so now it's going to be the other way around.

I need help finding Linux and more specifically Kubuntu software for her to learn to use.

I know there's Gimp, but I don't know if that's a feature-full enough program for her to use.

We need to find professional image software, she currently uses Ulead products along with whatever video editor or flash authoring programs fits her fancy at the time.

I don't mind paying for software as long as we can use it productively, but of course, I like free stuff too

Some stuff, maybe we can use Wine or something, but I'd just rather go with as much software made for Linux if possible.

I don't want to have to split the company between Mac and *nix and if I have to deal with WinBlows much longer I'm gonna chew through my leash and run out into the street.

So. If you have some advice on this, please speak up! 8)

PME

Re: Now I really do need web-dev software help. Please.

Unfortunately I have the same problem, almost exactly.
    So for what its worth:
    The gimp is very powerfull but not a photoshop or similar replacement. Especially the functions need a steep learning curve.

There are web editors out there my favorite beeing Nuv:
    http://www.nvu.com/index.php
    but it doesen't come close to dreamweaver.

There is no valid substitute to flash MX 2004 or any other. Period.

Maybe we should be writing spam mails to adobe

My solution is to use vmware server in conjunction with vmware player.
    http://www.vmware.com

Win is actually faster and more stable in that environment and only a click away.

Here is (hopefully usefull) howto:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/vmware_con..._windows_linux

If you need usb and other harware support, go with vmware workstation 6.0 (now RC1) It is very fast and stable

Once you have setup your virtual machine you should set up a seperate fat32 partition for sharing files (using samba) with your linux machine.

I hope this helps and good luck
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Re: Now I really do need web-dev software help. Please.

Originally posted by PerlMountain
      I don't want to have to split the company between Mac and *nix
      I know, I know, it doesn't help even a little bit. But I can't resist.

Mac is a *nix. And it mixes quite well with Linux.

Javier.

Comment

Working...
      X