This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

samba server?

probably a n00b question, but whats a samba server?

i keep getting a message saying "connection to local host failed, is your samba server running?" and i dont know what to do about it.

Re: samba server?

Originally posted by toyarmy
    probably a n00b question, but whats a samba server?
    In rather general parlance, in order to share files between two systems ("machines"), one has to be set-up as the server (serving the files, so to speak) and the other one as the client (accessing them, mainly that is).

Comment

Unless you are networking with machines running that "other" OS, you don't need Samba. You can turn it off in System Settings>Advanced>System Services.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
        Unless you are networking with machines running that "other" OS, you don't need Samba.
        To that I object :P I'm using Samba it to share files within my local (Linux) network, simply because from my experience, it's easier to configure and maintain SMB than (e.g.) NFS.

Comment

I agree, I too use Samba to network with my other linux machines, So let me change that to: If you are not networking, you don't need Samba. And if you are networking, but only to other linux machines, you can use it, but you don't absolutely have to have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
            Unless you are networking with machines running that "other" OS, you don't need Samba. You can turn it off in System Settings>Advanced>System Services.
            hmm, so, i went there, and i do not see samba listed.

in any case. i may want it in the future. because all the other box's in the house run that "other" os.

so i guess, i need to know how to make sure its running?

Comment

First, you need to have Samba installed. Look in your favorite package manager for things like "samba" and "smb".

Also see things like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_%28software%29.
              For external use only.

Comment

Read this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ee%20r-to-peer

Comment

Working...
                X