This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opera

I use Opera. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I like it better than Firefox and it's derivatives. Two problems/annoyances I'm running into on Kubuntu I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with:

1. Installing Opera messes up my system tray. Instead of two lines of icons, Opera makes it a single line which obviously takes up more space. I like having Opera in my system tray but I'd also like the two line version. Anybody know how to make this happen?

2. Opera "ships" with Google as the default search engine. I don't use it and would like to completely delete it. I can delete all the other search engines that "ship" with Opera except Google. Anybody know why this is and if it's possible to get rid of it?

Peace, respect and thanks...

Re: Opera

1. in my experience, i don't think its any particular app's fault about the system tray chaos. i think its the kde panel/system tray that is "at fault". i don't really mind it, since it doesn't affect my functionality...i really don't know any solutions.

2. i used opera for years on windows before switching to firefox and i don't know about that. (extensions are the biggest reason firefox is better & much more extensible imo, other than the advantage of foss). this might be a question better asked in the opera forums but of course any one that might know can answer...
    <br />

Comment

Re: Opera

Thanks for the reply.

1. I have noticed that Firestarter also seems to "break" the system tray so it might not be specific to Opera. Those are the only two programs that I have noticed this effect on, however, so I wonder if there's something specific to them that are causing it.

2. Thanks. I'll follow up in the Opera forums.

I agree that I like the extensions of Firefox better than Widgets in Opera. However, I think Firefox has "jumped the shark" in terms of allowing too many. I get overwhelmed when I see over 2000 extensions. I tend to be OCD so that many extensions set me off. Opera comes with more features "built in", is faster and more secure. Different strokes...

Comment

Working...
      X