Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amarok won't play MP3 unless I run it with sudo..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok won't play MP3 unless I run it with sudo..

Hi everybody. I am pretty new to linux, having spent many years with MS stuff.
    I discovered Amarok with Kubuntu 6.10 and then I tried the Beta version of Feisty with no problems at all.
    Now when the release version of Feisty was out, some upgrade damaged my Amarok and I was no longer able to play MP3, even if the first time I tried to play an mp3 file I said yes to the pop-up question about installing mp3 support.
    I have tried removing amarok in Adept, reinstalling it, purging it, etc and nothing worked. So I decided to run amarok from command line as "sudo amarok" and then I can play mp3 files. Something else I noticed is that the icon in the system tray looks a bit paler when i run Amarok from the K menu>Multimedia> Amarok as compared to the icon I get when I run it with sudo amarok, from command line. I could live with this way of running amarok fbut everytime I boot up and run amarok, I need to redefine my collection and it is a bit frustrating.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what could be wrong??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Amarok won't play MP3 unless I run it with sudo..

Is it only mp3's that won't play? Could it be that your normal user ID is not a member of the "audio" group?
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Re: Amarok won't play MP3 unless I run it with sudo..

I checked and I am part of the audio group. I am having problems playing CDs and MP3 files stored in my home directory.
      For Audio cds it keeps on telling me that CDDA is not installed.

Comment

Working...
      X