This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderbird Restore previous configuration from XP

I had Windows XP and i had Thunderbird 15010. I made a backup with mozbackup. Then i installed Kubuntu 704 Feisty Fawn and i installed Thunderbird 15010 through adept manager. Is there a way of restoring my old e-mails? I have my backup file in a seperate partition. Is this possible?

Re: Thunderbird Restore previous configuration from XP

I don't know how mozbackup work. Looks like it makes a backup of your profile into a zip file with a different extension.

If the files are just a copy of the normal thunderbird ones, just change the extension of the backup file to .zip and unzip it into ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/somerandomchars.default/

You may need to check "Show hidden files" in konqueror to see the .mozilla-thunderbird dir. BTW, as you look new to linux, ~ is a shortcut for your home dir.

Hope that it helps.

Javier.

Comment

The file has an extension of pcv. I can open it with ark but i cannot extract it.
      A foolish question: when you install a program in kubuntu where is the folder that it is in?

Comment

Change it to .zip, it should extract it fine.

There is not such a thing as "Program Files" is that is what you are asking. Different thing go to different places. Executable files usually en in /bin/, system-wide configuration in /etc/, user configuration in hidden files in your home, libs in /usr/lib/, etc...

In adept, if you select a package that has been installed, and click on details, you can see the files that have installed and where.

Javier.

Comment

You should be able to copy C:\Documents and Settings\caveneo\Application Data\Thunderbird to /home/caveneo/.mozilla-thunderbird

More details here.
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I renamed the file to zip and i extracted them into a folder on desktop. The files that are in are shown in the picture. Are ok?? Where do i extract them?
            Attached Files

Comment

There is a hidden dir in your home, called .mozilla-thunderbird. You can reach it selecting "Show Hidden Files" in the "View" menu form konqueror.

Inside that dir, there would be one called something.default. Something is a random (AFAIK) string.

Copy all the files in that dir, overwriting it's contents.

Then start Thunderbird, and the mails should be there.

Javier.

Comment

Working...
              X