X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Konqueror hangs indefinitely accessing large amounts of data on smb share

Hi everyone, novice Linux user here.

I have mounted on my system a Maxtor 300GB network drive where I keep my music, movies, etc, and when I go to access a lot of data, like a huge playlist or try to add two 700MB avis to VLC, all of the programs using the share hang and I am forced to terminate. When I go to access the mounted directory (in my home) the icon of the gear is turning and never releases. I end up having to reset the computer manually to get it working again.

Also, if the process manager loads, none of the processes are listed, and in the status bar all of the number values are 8's.

Here is the entry in /etc/fstab for the share (actual values edited for privacy):

//myshare/folder /home/mydir/storage smbfs credentials=/home/mydir/.smbcredentials,dmask=777,fmask=777 0 0

Anyone have any ideas? I've searched but I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem as me.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Konqueror hangs indefinitely accessing large amounts of data on smb share

Here are some screenshots of the behaviour I mentioned above.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Konqueror hangs indefinitely accessing large amounts of data on smb share

First of all: did you take a look at the Samba log files (to be found in /var/log/samba)?

Originally posted by staypuft
      //myshare/folder /home/mydir/storage smbfs credentials=/home/mydir/.smbcredentials,dmask=777,fmask=777 0 0
      Just to mention that as well: I'd rather make use of cifs instead of "smbfs" and umask=000 instead of "dmask=777, fmask=777" (albeit more from a gut feeling than anything else ...).

Comment

Working...
      X