X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Program(s) for making Dvds

Hi everyone,

I am constantly looking for programs to replace my Windows programs and I need help one this one.

I use Nero Vision Express to take videos of TV shows I download and make them into DVDs to watch on TV. With it all I have to do is select the files, say I want to make a DVD, and it makes a basic menu and converts the files then burns them to a DVD so i can play them on my DVD player for my big screen TV.

So I need a solution in Linux because I do this a lot. I also do it for the ones i record with my capture card too.

I don't need anything fancy. Just a way to select how ever many video files I want and have all those files convert into 1 big file I guess and then some way be able to burn it to DVD.

I have been trying deVeDe but every file I have tried ends up with a great picture but the audio is horrible.

So does anyone have any ideas with instructions on how to do it.

Thanks.

Re: Program(s) for making Dvds

Check out mandvd (Mandriva's dvd authoring app) I've been meaning to try it out myself but haven't quite got to it yet. From the looks of things it looks like it does what you want.

Also, have you checked if your dvd player will simply play avi and divx as a number of newer dvd players can do this (got mine 2yrs ago), in which case you can simply burn a data dvd with the files using k3b.

Comment

Try
      http://www.nero.com/eng/NeroLinux3Beta.html
      Should be familiar

Comment

Hello I too have been trying to find a good program for doing DVDs.

DeVeDe is a very good solution for doing this - BUT there is a problem with Kubuntu Feisty and mplayer/mencoder which is giving the audio problem
        http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html
        I had hoped an update would have fixed it by now, there is a download at the bottom of DeVeDe homepage but I couldn't get it to work properly.
        I may give up and go back to edgy - used to work fine then.
        Using Kubuntu 17.10 64Bit

Comment

Thanks for the replys my dvd player doesn't play divx files.

I will check out your suggestions.

Like I said it can be an all in one way or a way to convert the files together into a format that can be made into a dvd and then burned with something else.

Thanks guys for the help though.

Just a quick thought though what do you use for single video files in linux that need to be converted then burned to a dvd to watch on a dvd player.

Comment

mandvd works well for me, though its gui doesn't fit my desktop (too large for my 1024x768) and I have to use the alt key and frab and drag the window in a few sections. But other than that it is a one stop convert and create app. I usually create a dvd directory or iso as sometimes (in most of the apps i have tried) k3b doesn't always like to burn the files correctly when called by the app. But I have not tried this in Feisty yet, which has the latest k3b

I have not tried devede in feisty yet either

Comment

Well guys I tried ManDvd and I am pretty impressed with it. I was able to do with it almost everything I wanted to do like in Nero Vision Express which is what I use in Windows for making a DVD with multiple episodes on it.

I did notice a few things though: I couldn't find a way to create a title on the DVD menu. In NVE I had the option that way when I put the disk in my DVD player it shows the name of the DVD and the Episodes on the menu. Also when I choose the preview button it doesn't work has some complaint about Xine.

Other things I noticed: When it installed I had to remove mplayer and use mplayer-cvs. Mencoder had to removed and the one with mplayer-cvs was used instead. Acidrip had to be removed, DeVeDe had to be removed, and a few other things had to be removed but that is OK because the program is doing what I need it to do. Also is seems to be alot faster than NVE in the converting process too which is great.

So all in all this is a great program so far and it is a point and click all in one solution almost for making DVDs in Linux. I highly recommend it.

Thanks guys for your help and your suggestions. This get me one step closer to giving up Windows for good.

Comment

Hi.

I have found that the best quality conversion from divx to mpeg (i.e DVD compatible) is this app

http://kmpg2.sourceforge.net/view.php/page/Voorpagina

(it's a gui for a collection of scripts - you need kommander and other dependencies installed)

once you have kommander installed it is just a case of re-entering KDE untaring the archive then clicking on the script (you do not even need to install it - although you can..)

As i mentioned this is the highest quality conversion i have seen.

This app doesn't sort out the DVD menu creation - although you can do this with the sister project - KDE DVD Authoring Wizard -

http://dvdauthorwizard.sourceforge.n...age/Voorpagina

Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Hi I tried the programs you suggested but I am having problems. For example a lot of times I am pressing buttons and nothing is happening or I have to press abort and then I see things start to happen. This is happening in both. Is there a way to run the program in the console that way when I press a button in the GUI I can go back and see if it is doing anything. I like what I see and the menu creation I like a lot better but it seems like things are not registering when I press buttons. Also converting of downloaded Avi files doesn't seem to work either.

Great find but it seems to have issues or I am not giving it enough time.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X