Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

music playback dropout (mp3, flac, wma.....all apps EXCEPT MPlayer??)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

music playback dropout (mp3, flac, wma.....all apps EXCEPT MPlayer??)

...Overview...
    I've just recently made the jump to kubuntu feisty (from ubuntu edgy) and now I'm having music playback problems with my SB Live Audigy 2. Everything worked fine back in edgy.

...Symptoms...
    MP3, WMA, and FLAC playback drops out for a fraction of a second every 3-4 seconds.
    Have tried both OSS, ALSA, both seem to suffer this problem.
    I use Amarok 1.4, but the problem occurs in all other media players EXCEPT for MPlayer Movie Player.

... Relevant Hardware ...
    Asus A8N-SLI
    Creative Audigy 2

Can anyone offer any suggestions to help me troubleshoot and fix this problem?

Thank you kindly...

Re: music playback dropout (mp3, flac, wma.....all apps EXCEPT MPlayer??)

From within Amarok select settings/configure/engine.

Which one is selected, is it Xine? If so, have you got the package libxine-extra codecs and the W32codecs packages?

Ian

Comment

yes, its xine, and yet I have both w32codecs and libxine-extracodes. I think its a xine issue, but I haven't been able to fix it yet..

any other suggestions?

Comment

I have the same problem with Amarok and have spent all day searching for the solution. I have tried everything posted in this thread and NOTHING has worked. I used to be able to play MP3's in Amarok with Edgy, but not with Feisty.

Comment

To see if it is Xine (which I suspect it is) try playing the files with Kaffeine, firstly using the xine engine and then with the mplayer engine.

Any difference?

Ian

Comment

hey.. I just tried both, and it does the same thing with each engine. I don't understand why, because if i play something in the actual MPlayer Movie Player then it works fine.
            is anyone else having this problem?

Comment

Trying it with Kaffeine didn't work either for me, but gave me insight to what the problem probably was. Amarok didn't let me know what was going on so I figured I had the same problem as you. When trying to play the exact same files in Kaffeine, it let me know that access was denied. Well, it must mean I need to change the permissions on the folder (I had it located in /root/Music) so I did that and it worked. This thread definitely fixed my problem indirectly lol. I wish the best of luck to you ph0tix!

Comment

I don't think that my problem has anything to do with permissions. I can play all of my music, it just doesn't play seamlessly. I consistently cuts out for a fraction of a second, every 3 or 4 seconds, throughout the whole of every song.

Get this though.. I just installed counterstike via wine. If I'm playing mp3s, the moment CS launches, the music playback stops chopping up. Plays perfectly fine the whole time until I quit, then it goes back to dropping out every 3-4 seconds. (this is counter-intuitive to what you might expect)

If I can figure out what CS is doing to the sound drivers/engine when I launch it, and force that in my work environment, it might be a potential short term fix. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've used both OSS and ALSA in amarok, and both suffer the same problem. This leads me to believe the problem is solely with xine.. can anyone suggest anything else I can try?

I'd appreciate all the advise I can get! Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                X