This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

system menu and /etc/sudoer not accessible

have had fiesty up and running with no problems on 3 computers, but...last night I shut down one of the desktops and when I started it up the next day system menu when clicked has an amarok icon show up and bounce then disappears. After reading the forums I tried to change the /etc/sudoer/ folder but..I have no access to the folder. I use sudo to change root password and retried, still no success.

Any ideas or opinions why? also unable to use remote places under system menu.

Thanks
    KJ

Re: system menu and /etc/sudoer not accessible

Do you know about how Ubuntu uses sudo and the root user is disabled and you shouldn't need to change that or indeed do so unless you really know what you're doing? If not read http://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo.

My machine doesn't have the /etc/sudoer directory you mention:
    Code:
    mike@continuity:~$ ls /etc/sudoer/
    ls: /etc/sudoer/: No such file or directory
    Do you mean the /etc/sudoers file? If so how did you change it? Why did you change it?

I can't envisage what your problem from your description of it. A screenshot might help. I guess you could try removing the System Menu from the Panel and adding it back again. Right click on the System Menu icon and select 'Remove System Menu Menu'. The right click on the empty space on the Pabel where the icon used to be and select 'Add Applet to Panel...'. In the Window that appears you'll find an entry for System Menu, double click that to add the System Menu to the panel again.

Comment

The problem Is that i can use root for some programs such as adept, synaptic, update manager but I am not able to view any files if i try and open the root folder.

Any file I try to open in root or in system menu such as, home folder, storage media, remote places there is a icon for amarok under the curser, this icon dances up and down...after 10 sec or so the icon dissapears and nothing happens.
      I don't know why all these files are linked to amarok.
      any ideas?

Comment

No idea what's happened there. The acronym fubar comes to mind. Might be easiest just to back up any data you want to keep then do a clean re-install.

Comment

Working...
        X