This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE freezes randomly

Hi. KDE freezes randomly. Usually, the mouse freezes for 10 secs, is active for 10 secs, then repeat forever. I can't click anything or do ctrl-backspace or alt-f2...nothing. So I have to do a hard reboot.

I have knetworkmanager and firestarter in the tray, and usually firefox is running when it happens. Is there some log I can look at to help me diagnose the problem?

Re: KDE freezes randomly

G'day, rocketman768,

Not sure if you've looked here already but KSysGuard will give you a list of whats running.

HTH

I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

I know. The problem is that I can't bring up ksysgaurd (or any program for that matter) because the system becomes completely unresponsive. If you are suggesting that I already have it running, its output would also freeze, so I would not get any useful info.

Comment

Have you tried running top in a console? That may show you what's running.
        I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Are you using the nvidia-glx-legacy driver?

It has problems, and causes crashes that require a hard reboot.

If this is the case, the solution is here:

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/03...y-2620-12-386/

You need to patch the 8776 version from the nvidia website.

Worked for me at least.

If firefox isn't always running when KDE locks up, it's probably not to do with firefox (it's probably just the case that you use firefox a lot, and it's likely to be running whenever something happens).

Comment

Ah, could be. I did a "sudo aptitude install nvidia-glx" to get my card working. Would that install the legacy driver?

Comment

Originally posted by rocketman768
              Ah, could be. I did a "sudo aptitude install nvidia-glx" to get my card working. Would that install the legacy driver?
              That would install the newer driver, but if you have an older card (TNT, GeForce, GeForce2 or one or two others), the newer driver won't work properly anyway.

I'd say follow the instructions in the link in my previous post and you'd be set. It's a wee bit more annoying than a simple "apt-get install", but it's not too challenging.

Comment

Working...
              X