This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ark and unrar-free

I downloaded a movie that came in a rar file. I had "unrar-free" installed, but ark told me that "unrar" was not in the correct path, so i decided to rename "unrar-free" to "unrar". Ark showed me the file i wanted to extract but when i tried to do it, i got errors. I decided to install "unrar" (the non free version) and my error disappeared. Is there a way to use "unrar-free" with Ark?

Re: Ark and unrar-free

What format was the rar-archive?

From the description of unrar-free:
    Unrar can extract files from .rar archives. Can't handle archives in the
    RAR 3.0 format, only the non-free "unrar" package can do that.

Comment

You're better of using unrar (the non-free version) because it supports more RAR formats/versions than unrar-free. Don't be afraid of the "non-free" term here. You don't need to pay for anything, it's just that it doesn't have a "free" license, in the "free as in speech" sense of the word.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

I have no idea what format it is.... It doesn't tell me, all i want to do is to configure ark to recognize and use "rar-free"

Comment

Well, I'm saying that you install the unrar and not unrar-free package.

If it's complaining that utility unrar is not in your path, then it means it's a RAR file. If it's complaining even after installing unrar-free, then it means that it's a RAR version that unrar-free can't handle. No amount of renaming will magically solve it.
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Thank you jucato, you cleared my doubts...

Comment

Working...
            X