X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kernel 2.6.21 with feisty

hello,

just wondering if anyone had tried the new stable release of 2.6.21 kernel with feisty?

is it possible to do a simple apt-get install of the new kernel version, rather than having to mess around with compiling it from source?

i'm thinking with the release of feisty and the new kernel version, this is a good time to upgrade.

thanks
    jon

Re: kernel 2.6.21 with feisty

I don't think you need to compile any kernel when you are running *ubuntu, unless you really want to. Any new kernels will be installed on your computer when you update your system.

As for how well it works, I can't say, as I am currently running 2.6.20.

- Delphi

Comment

i have installed the 2.6.21 ( the kernels that come with kubuntu by default run on my laptop very slow ) anywho. 2.6.21 is pretty fast. Has some new stuff like paravirtualization ..thou i think thats been available since 2.6.20.# ..im not sure there.

Comment

Originally posted by raffytaffy
        i have installed the 2.6.21 ( the kernels that come with kubuntu by default run on my laptop very slow ) anywho. 2.6.21 is pretty fast. Has some new stuff like paravirtualization ..thou i think thats been available since 2.6.20.# ..im not sure there.
        Was there a kernel package for 2.6.21?
        I need .21 as i2o_block is broken in .19 and .20 . I tried to compile from latest kernel from kernel.org but that went poorly and I'm not up for spending another day messing with that. Compiled ok but ended up with message unknown file system devfs on boot.

What is the usual update release period for kubuntu for new kernels?

Comment

raffytaffy - did you follow a guide or anything when compiling and installing the 2.6.21 kernel?

if it's going to be a while before this is available as a package then i'd rather not wait for it. i'd really like to get cpu scaling to work.

cheers

Comment

Working...
          X