X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set next boot

Hello.

I was wondering if there is an app that can set the next boot option temporarily?

My grub menu.list is set to boot up in kubuntu as default which is fine, but sometimes when I am in kubuntu I would like to boot up in windows next time without waiting for the grub menu.

I could write a shell script which changes menu list in Linux and a batch file in windows, so the boot up menu looks like it should, but I am not sure that this solution is the best one.

Is it possible to always have default boot to kubuntu and occasionally set the next boot to another OS?

Thanks.
    Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
    CV and gallery at grn.dk
    Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Re: Set next boot

Originally posted by gnowak
    Is it possible to always have default boot to kubuntu and occasionally set the next boot to another OS?
    I may be missing your point - but that's exactly what's the boot loader's menu is being provided for ...

Comment

Hmmm, I probably didn't make my point clear. I would like a command or app like:

reboot to win

Then I go for a cup of water and come back, and my computer has booted to win.

I reboot windows.. and my default boots to Kubuntu..
      CV and gallery at grn.dk

Comment

I remember that some time ago, when i used mandrake when i was on log in screen, and i selected reboot i could to select the system and it rebooted to the system selected, but on mandrake i used lilo, perhaps lilo has this possibility or i don't know how to configure that on kubuntu.

Comment

Yeah I have something like that in pclinuxos2007. when you right-click on the desktop and choose reboot, you can choose the system you want to reboot into.
          Nice touch, but I have no idea howto implement it in Feisty.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hmm mkay, I think this feature could be very useful for many ppl..
            CV and gallery at grn.dk

Comment

Personaly I use vmware WS 6Beta and player for my windows needs (adobe/Macromedia) and share with samba.
              So I have both environements a click away 8)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Well, I am a game addict, so it's not so easy for me... I really hope that game development for nix will soon be a reality!!
                CV and gallery at grn.dk

Comment

I am not really a gamer, but you can always try this: http://www.howtoforge.com/vmware_con..._windows_linux

just for the hell of it
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hehe, no thank you

I Don't think that this is an efficient and optimal solution, as regards of my criteria
                    CV and gallery at grn.dk

Comment

Originally posted by gnowak
                      Then I go for a cup of water and come back, and my computer has booted to win.
                      O.k., now I got it ... my suggestion: grub-set-default (to be invoked e.g. by a "mini script" accessible from the panel).

Comment

Mkay, I suggested a shell script earlier, but what I actually was fishing for, was the developers to implement this in the reboot/shutdown within KDE etc..... or another app..??..

But we can close this thread if the only solution is a script.... But that is not so fancy, when I recommend Kubuntu to M$ fanatics..

EDIT: BTW the problem appears next time a boot is initiated from windows, if we don't go and edit the menu.lst from within windows (with batch etc..).

Extra Edit: The solution would probably be a coop job with guys from Grub and K(ubuntu)/KDE, so it can loop boot jobs x times, and revoke to default boot. We then don't have any problems grubling with menu.lst from within the M$ thingie..
                        CV and gallery at grn.dk

Comment

Working...
                        X