This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Konqueror breaking

Has anyone else seen Konqy's tool bars acting funny after upgrading to Feisty? After I log onto the desktop, I launch Konqueror (either the web browser or file manager, makes no difference), and the tool bars look and act normally. That is, until I quit the program. When I launch it a second time, the menu and tool bars are completely different, and pretty well useless. I can provide a screen shot tonight when I get home, if necessary, but it's got junk like the kBabel translator button, instead of the nav buttons, even though all those tool bars are in fact turned on. As a work-around, I can log off the KDE desktop and log back on, and for the first launch (again), Konqy's fine. But I'd like to fix it permanently.

Help!
    In hindsight, everything can be funny<br />--Anonymous

Re: Konqueror breaking

Hasn't anyone had any trouble with Konqueror at all related to the upgrade?

Comment

I have the same problem, the konqueror toolbar display only zoom and type filter, I investigate... I think that's related to the kubuntu change of konqueror profile.

Comment

You're probably right, but how do we fix it? Other than you, no one else has chimed in so I haven't a clue where to go. I've tried deleting some of the files in ~/.kde/apps/konqueror hoping that one of them was corrupt and would be replaced, but it didn't have any effect.

Comment

Hey - was there any official response from kubuntu/kde folks? I get the same sort of behavior, but even more odd. If I start konqueror from, say, the desktop Home icon, it works fine. If I start it from a link in an email, it does not start with the correct set of menus/toolbars. Once that first odd start occurs, then the icon that's on my panel now starts konqueror with the malformed menus/toolbars, but the main program icon still starts it just fine. Sadly, when konqueror starts malformed, menu options no longer appear that would allow one to retreive the missing menu options I've already deleted the profile in my .kde folder without getting rid of this issue.

Comment

Hit Alt+F2 and type "konqueror". If that starts up Konqueror fine, do it again. If it comes up bad, try opening a console and typing "konqueror --profiles". This will print a list of available profiles. Start up Konqueror with one of them, e.g. "konqueror --profile filemanagemant".
            If that works, great, set your buttons to execute that.
            If not... we'll come to that.
            For external use only.

Comment

I have a similar problem. Freshly installed 7.04 and Konqueror's menu is missing "Go" and "Window" items. Tried your above suggestions with same result. What next?

Comment

RickJ: your problem is a bit different from theirs. Also, your menu (missing Go and Window menus) is not broken, but an intended change in Kubuntu.

See http://jucato.org/kde/konq-profiles.html for more information.
                Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

It's just started happening to me, too. The only icons that appear on the toolbar are Enlarge Icons, Shrink Icons, and View Filter. All three toolbars (Search, Treeview, Extra) are enabled under Settings|Toolbars. But disabling the Search toolbar doesn't change the appearance of anything. The dotted lines representing the different toolbars are all vertical, so they aren't hidden. Clicking on a vertical dotted line allows me to move the empty toolbar around. The Location, Bookmarks, and Window menu headings are also missing. The location window (where the pathname shows up) is missing.

Starting in Konsole doesn't change the appearance, with either profile option. It does complain that it can't find konq-kubuntu.rc, which cannot be found anywhere on the system. (The last line of ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles reads
                  XMLUIFile=konq-kubuntu.rc
                  Starting with kdesu doesn't work at all--it just hangs with an X error, "Failed to open device".

I particularly miss the navigation arrows.

Comment

I replaced ~/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc with the default file that comes with installation, and that got Konqueror back to its original state. I wonder if deleting it would produce the same result. I saved the old konquerorrc and one day will look through it to determine what caused the toolbars to disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by leftbas
                      Hasn't anyone had any trouble with Konqueror at all related to the upgrade?
                      Yes. I can no longer open anything in Konqueror, except by right clicking and opening in a new tab, which results in many many tabs.

I've tried the following
                      I've removed Konqueror and all its plugins, in Adept, deleted
                      /.kde/share/apps/konqueror
                      deleted
                      /.kde/apps/konqueror
                      deleted
                      /.kde/share/config/konquerorrc
                      Then Kubuntu would not start except in recovery mode. In this mode I used
                      Code:
                      apt-get update and apt-get install Konqueror
                      to reinstall Konqueror, then I rebooted and KDE started OK, but the Konqueror problem persists.

At the time of the problem appearing I was trying (unsuccessfully) to install my brother DCP110c printer, which works fine on the same computer under MEPIS.

Can anyone give me some more tips before I go for a complete KUBUNTU 7.04 reinstall, which I don't want to have to do. Greg

Comment

Try "sudo apt-get remove --purge konqueror" and then "sudo apt-get install konqueror".
                        For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                          Try "sudo apt-get remove --purge konqueror" and then "sudo apt-get install konqueror".
                          Thanks, tried that and also followed the advice to use
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get autoremove
                          but this did not solve the problem. However, a major improvement is that Konqueror will now start from the toolbar, so thanks for that. I also noticed that on clicking a folder in Konqueror, I got the following message
                          KDEInit could not launch 'xmms'.:
                          Could not find 'xmms' executable
                          so I right clicked on the folder and chose the open with option, which said
                          Open with XMMS or other
                          , very strange. I've added open with Konqueror and all seems to have been solved. Thanks for your help. Greg

PS Now back to the miscreant DCP110c

Comment

Hey.

Just out of curiosity, does it look anything like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue Jedi X
                              Hey.

Just out of curiosity, does it look anything like this?
                              Is something missing here?

BTW, after fiddling for ages, getting all sorts of error messages, suddenly my DCP110c has started printing. I would like to let any others know what I did, but I simply don't know, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X