X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extremely slow after login....

I did not notice this on Edgy...

I have two SMB mounts that point to a Windows machine on my LAN. These mounts point to shares which have all my music and pictures, therefore there are a lot of folders and files.

When I login to Feisty, the desktop comes up, but only partially. The Task Bar is there, but there are no icons on my desktop, nor can I click on the desktop. I can click on the Menu/Task Bar. There is no hard drive access.

After about 2 minutes, the desktop will finally come up with icons and everything is normal.

I notice that if I remove the SMB mounts from /etc/fstab and reboot, after I login the desktop comes up like normal, with no delays.

Therefore, something about the SMB mounts is causing the delay. I have tried moving them from out of my home folder to /mnt, and it doesn't matter.

Any ideas? Thanks....

Re: Extremely slow after login....

At least to narrow down the source of trouble, you could mount the shares in question manually (by means of mount -v ... further reading).

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
      At least to narrow down the source of trouble, you could mount the shares in question manually (by means of mount -v ... further reading).
      Thanks for the reply!

Well, I put a noauto option in the /etc/fstab and rebooted. The desktop came up fine since they aren't mounted.

So I guess I'm stuck with having to mount these manually when I need to use them?

Comment

Have you tried smb4k.

It's a samba network explorer and mounter/unmounter utility. It has an option to automatically mount all the shared resources used recently at start. As it starts after kubuntu booting, it could resolve your problem.

Javier.

Comment

Originally posted by ksalter
          So I guess I'm stuck with having to mount these manually when I need to use them?
          It depends; you haven't answered my question so far: does manual mounting work? If it does: with or without delay?

Comment

Working...
          X