X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adept problem

i have edited my source.list and i have added medibuntu repository
    via shell i have installed skype and other package.
    But if i open adept and i search skype i don't find it. Same problem for acroread and other medibuntu packages.
    It is normally?

P.S. non-supported and non-free options are enabled

Re: adept problem

did you make sure the line is not commented out with a "#" you might also want to post your sources.lst maybe there is just a simple typo another set of eyes might see.
    Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you.

Comment

Yes i am sure
      apt find skype and other is adept that not find it

i have checked, the problem is specific for add/remove application (on k menu)
      i suppose problem is adept_installer (adept_manager don't have this problem)

this is te medibuntu section of my sources.list

# Medibuntu
      deb http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/ feisty free non-free
      deb-src http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/ feisty free non-free

Comment

i make a research:
        feisty beta don't have this problem
        i suppose the problem is on adept_installer in the feisty stable.

Comment

Hi,

I just installed Kubuntu 7.04 on a friend's laptop today, and there is the same problem with adept (I didn't check, but i think it was adept_installer, i'll try adept_manager tomorrow). Adept just doesn't find some packages, though i could install them via apt-get, so it's not a sources.list problem or such thing.

Do you have some news about this ? It's not that annoying, but it gives a poor impression to new users (as my friend is), though the rest is just great. (btw i didn't see a kubuntu since Breezy, and Feisty lokks really fine)

Comment

Hmm... maybe there's some dependency problem, though this is a stretch.
            Does Adept update the package cache properly?
            For external use only.

Comment

As a matter of fact, I can't find the command for updating cache. I think the the problem here is I used adept_installer, not adept_manager, i'll check this today.

Anyway, i updated in via apt-get update, it didn't change anything. And in adept status bar, he says something like 20'000 packages available, though it can't find a single texlive package (texlive is in main).

Comment

Originally posted by mpg
                I used adept_installer
                "Add/Remove Programs" by default launches (the) adept_installer.

Originally posted by mpg
                And in adept status bar, he says something like 20'000 packages available [...]
                It's even more interesting than that: while both Synaptic and Adept are reporting the same number of packages as being available, as a matter of fact, Adept displays merely a subset of what is there (and displayed as a whole by Synaptic).

In short: Adept needs some more debugging :P

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
                  In short: Adept needs some more debugging :P
                  I think so. By the way, when i was using Kubuntu a while ago (Breezy), adept (or anything it was for managing packages on Kubuntu) was already needing debugging. Maybe I'll tell my friend to use synaptics, since I guess he won't like aptitude (which I prefer for my own use).

I hope adpet (and espacially adept_installer) will be fixed some day, cause it's a really nice looking and beginner-friendly tool

Comment

Revision

As I have learned from this thread, besides (!) the castrated Adept (adept_installer) there is also a full fledged colleague of sorts available as well: adept_manager - the latter one looking quite like "Synaptic on LSD", er, KDE

Comment

adept_installer (add/remove programs) only lists most commonly used software in a more easily readable format and better categorized, it doesn't (by design) list all available packages.

It's mostly meant as a 'new user tool', as adept-manager's (full) package list may seem daunting and even confusing if you don't know what you're looking for.

If you need to install something a bit more exotic, or like full control of what's installed, use adept-manager (or apt-get, aptitude or synaptic)

Comment

Long story, short. Just use synaptic. It is a far more "adept" package manager.

sudo aptitude install synaptic

Away you go.
                        I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Working...
                        X