This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Package Manager GUI

Has anyone tried Smart Package Manager (in GUI mode) in Feisty? On my Kubuntu 7.04 I get the following error when I try to run it from the terminal:

Code:
    sudo smart --gui
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified

/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:69: GtkWarning: could not open display
     warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/log.py:36: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
     gtk.Window.__init__(self)
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/log.py:36: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
     gtk.Window.__init__(self)
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/log.py:50: GtkWarning: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
     self._scrollwin = gtk.ScrolledWindow()
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/log.py:59: GtkWarning: gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
     self._scrollwin.add(self._textview)
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/log.py:59: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion `context != NULL' failed
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/log.py:59: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion `context != NULL' failed
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/log.py:59: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_language: assertion `context != NULL' failed
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/log.py:59: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/log.py:59: GtkWarning: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/log.py:59: GtkWarning: gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/log.py:59: GtkWarning: gdk_keymap_get_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
    /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/log.py:59: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    I installed Smart-PM via Adept, using default repositories.
    In a world without windows and fences who needs Gates?

Re: Smart Package Manager GUI

i am also getting the same error.

Comment

I just noticed a curious thing: if I run it in normal user mode, GUI starts without any errors, but when I run it as a root user, the GUI doesn't show up.

Comment

How is it possible to run a package manager with any account other than root?
        In hindsight, everything can be funny<br />--Anonymous

Comment

It is, but in read-only mode, which of course does not help a lot.

Comment

That's odd, but logical. Odd because I can't run Adept without providing an 'su' password.
            In hindsight, everything can be funny<br />--Anonymous

Comment

Smart PM has always had ability to run it as a normal user, though I'm not sure to what purpose, since you can't do any administrative tasks.

Comment

use kdesu not sudo

Code:
                kdesu "smart --gui"
                You need kdesu (or gksu for gnome) for most gui apps run with admin privileges

Comment

And I was sooo close. I tried kdesu smart --gui, only without quotation marks, because when I was a openSUSE user I just wrote smart --gui, or in console, su and then smart --gui. Thanks! It works now.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                    use kdesu not sudo

Code:
                    kdesu "smart --gui"
                    You need kdesu (or gksu for gnome) for most gui apps run with admin privileges
                    I just installed Kubuntu 7.10 x86_64 and Smart is still setting up it's icon to start as 'smart --gui'. Could the package installer be changed to set it up to start as 'kdesu "smart --gui"?
                    Thanks,<br />popatopalous<br />Kubuntu 7.10 x86_64 : AMD64 X2 4800+ : 4x1GB DDR2 800 : GeForce 6150 256MB : ASUS M2NPV-VM : HD-2x320GB

Comment

You can 'edit' the menu icon - right-click and choose Edit Item. Change the Command entry to kdesu "smart --gui" and then the diskette icon (Save) or click File | Save and you're done.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                        You can 'edit' the menu icon - right-click and choose Edit Item. Change the Command entry to kdesu "smart --gui" and then the diskette icon (Save) or click File | Save and you're done.
                        Thanks, but I already did that. What I was trying to point out is that this needs to be corrected in the package installer. Maybe someone should file a bugzilla.
                        Thanks,<br />popatopalous<br />Kubuntu 7.10 x86_64 : AMD64 X2 4800+ : 4x1GB DDR2 800 : GeForce 6150 256MB : ASUS M2NPV-VM : HD-2x320GB

Comment

Working...
                        X