This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED]kooka not working

I can't open kooka, on process table i see kooka using 92% of System, but the application does not shown.

In fact, scanner is not working. I have EpsonDX5000, to get working the scanner on Edgy i was to add id and product on /etc/saned.d/epson.conf and on /etc/udev/libsane-extras.rules and on Feisty is not working.

EDITED

Solved.

Re: kooka not working

I am sorry to say it but kooka is a picece of J..
    If you look on it's website you will see that it has not been maintained since 2004.

That does not mean that your scanner is set up right but do install Xsane and enjoy the only good scanner sw available.

Scanner bussiness under linux is tricky . Are u sure your scanner is supported by sane?

look at www.sane-project.org and see if it is.

that thing with the id in epson.conf should not be needed AFIK.

Comment

Could be you have a config file that is migrated from edgy? I just fired up kooka here and it runs fine but I don't have my scanner plugged in. I'll dust off my Epson and plug it in and see what happens and report back.

Comment

I plugged in my Epson 1650 and fired up Kooka and it had the little prompt for me to select the scan device and 'Epson GT-8200' was showing up and it worked fine.

You might check you settings and and make sure the top two boxes are checked under the startup options.

Did you try it without those changes to the /etc/ files? Those changes might need to be different now or just not needed anymore.

metricus:
        I'm not really sure what you expect the scanner software to do but Kooka seems to do more than enough to use a scanner for what it's meant to do and if sane isn't working it doesn't matter what interface you choose it still won't work if the backend is broke.

Comment

Kooka has many bugs. I had a lot of problem mostly with scaneners that are supported but only through a non-free plugin.

As I said kooka has not been maintained since 2004 and sometimes it works and sometimes not. It is not really Kokka but libkscan which was devd by the same person who works now at SUSE.

Xsane is a much better application. Besides the settings in Kooka are very basic and the quality of the scans with default settings is poor. There is no support for multiple scanning and for the start button. Anyway, there is no need to dwell on it.

I looked and his scanner is not supported by sane (is not listed at all) so I don't know what to say. there is probably a non-free plugin at avasys (google for avasys)

Comment

I will just tell you my experience:

I had an epson perfection 3170 photo which gave me a lot of grief for about 2 years. because it was one of those scanners which were supported but only through the non-free plugin.

It wasworking only with Iscan and not with kooka. It also was working with Xsane. So the scanner was there but Kooka never saw it.

The non-free plugins are only offered in i386 version so in 64 bit I could not use this scanner.

I finally sold it on e-bay and purchased another one which is supported fully by sane and have no more headaches anymore. Epson 4990. Works like a charm.

Comment

On Edgy was working perfect and i love kooka, i don't like xsane. But the problem is that on Feisty my scanner does not work, on Edgy was working perfect. I can't scan with scanimage command too, and i've change the same files that i had to do on Edgy to get working my scanner: /etc/saned.d/epson.conf and /etc/udev/libsane-extras.rules

I also have seen that there is a bug on Kernel on Feisty on Rosetta with the same problem like me, so it's a bug.

Comment

I agree that kooka is an extremely easy to use piece of software.
                Does it list with command lsusb?
                Does it work in Xsane?

Try also the program iscan from avasys. It is made by Epson to work with Epson scanners.

It may be a bug, I don't know but your scanner is not listed as supported by sane (unless it goes by another name - Epson does that often). So it is not supported and end of story....
                You should maybe post your problem on the sane-devel list see if you get some answers.

My scanner was working w kooka in SUSE 9.3 and when I moved to SUSE 10.0 it stopped working. I moved to Kubuntu and was still not working. It did always work however with Iscan and Xsane .

My theory is that libkscan has not kept up with the kernel changes therefore has started to be incompatible since no one maintained it for 3 years. I think this makes a lot of sense.
                AND FYI Iscan is just as easy to operate as Kooka however a lot less pleasantly looking but it always works with epson scanners since it is kept up-to-date by epson.

When u get enough of these frustrations do like I did and buy a compatible one...

Oh, I just saw it is an all-in-one. These have always been a problem in Linux AFIK.

If I were in your shoes I'd get a Canon Lide 60 or something which is inexpensive and just fine for documents and a separate printer.

I am running out of advices...

Comment

My scanner is not listed but on Edgy i added my id and product on /etc/saned.d/epson.conf and on /etc/udev/libsane-extras.rules and works pefect. On Feisty is not working, doesn't not work with scanimage and kooka is never opened when i try to open it.

sane-find-scanner detect the scanner (obvious, i added it on the same files than edgy...)

When i use Edgy, i get work this scanner, and i posted the information on sane some time ago. In fact, when i tried to get working, first i looked to iscan and they haven't driver scanner for my model, and then i did those changes and worked perfect. It works on Edgy, why not on Feisty?

scanimage -L does not respond too.

And this was my mail on sane-devel: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/piper...er/018111.html

Comment

I understand this, and as I said, I had the same situation with an unsupported scanner when Kooka stopped working in suse 10.0 while it was working in 9.3. There was nothing I could do to make it work again.
                    This is what happens with unsupported scanners. period.
                    And kooka is unmaintained as well and does not keep up with kernel upgrades.
                    You just have to accept it and find another solution like using Iscan or go back to Edgy and continue using Kooka.

If Xsane and Iscan work then it is logical that the bug is with Kooka and not with Kubuntu. If you try filing a bug report at Kooka good luck. There is a big pile of them and nobody reads them.

Please note that it is my opinion and i am not a Kubuntu developper but just a user like you. i may be wrong but the rationale makes sense to me.

As I said, in the end, try your luck at sane-devel they know more about scanners than many people on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by metricus
                      I understand this, and as I said, I had the same situation with an unsupported scanner when Kooka stopped working in suse 10.0 while it was working in 9.3. There was nothing I could do to make it work again.
                      This is what happens with unsupported scanners. period.
                      And kooka is unmaintained as well and does not keep up with kernel upgrades.
                      You just have to accept it and find another solution like using Iscan or go back to Edgy and continue using Kooka.

If Xsane and Iscan work then it is logical that the bug is with Kooka and not with Kubuntu. If you try filing a bug report at Kooka good luck. There is a big pile of them and nobody reads them.

Please note that it is my opinion and i am not a Kubuntu developper but just a user like you. i may be wrong but the rationale makes sense to me.

As I said, in the end, try your luck at sane-devel they know more about scanners than many people on this forum.
                      The problem is not Kooka!!!! The problem is scanner not work!!!! there is not usbscanner on /dev/ or something like that!!! I use kooka for scanning but does not work with other tools of scanning!!! And Iscan or Xsane is not the solution because does not work!!!

If i look at /dev there is not scanner.

scanimage is not working too!!! and quiteinsane not working, xsane not working because there is a bug on Feisty (perhaps, kernel thing) and there is not scanner device. Don't tell me again use Xsane or iscan because does not resolve the problem!!! And i sent that mail on sane-devel saying that is working and ubuntu.fr have the guide like all i did to get work the scanner: http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/epson_dx

You can see that is the same that i did on Edgy and on Edgy works, this is a bug on Feisty, on ubuntuforums i've seen the same problem on various posts about scanner (other all-in-one), so it's a bug on Feisty.

You can search by yourself on ubuntuforums and you can see posts like this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...scanner+feisty
                      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...scanner+feisty

And you can see this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...sane-backends/

And this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...nds/+bug/85488

It's a kernel thing, scanners are not working.

Comment

For some reason I missed reading your previous posting. Sorry.

I am afraid I cannot help you further... maybe someone else.

Good luck

PS: My scanner is supported and IS working, so the "scanners are not working" affirmation is not true.

Comment

I have to agree. If someone wants to use the software he/she likes so be it.This is a feisty thing.

My acer(benq) scanner works perfectly with both kooka and xsane under edgy.
                          feisty koka tells me sane is not installed and xsane tells me that snapscan:libusb:003:003: not a valid argument.
                          Here is my lsusb :
                          fintan2@fintanws2:~$ lsusb
                          Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
                          Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04a5:20c0 Acer Peripherals Inc. (now BenQ Corp.) Prisa 1240UT
                          Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
                          Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0db0:6982 Micro Star International Medion Flash XL V2.7A Card Reader
                          Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
                          Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
                          fintan2@fintanws2:~$

I think this, along with some samba and grub-gfxboot stuff is feisty orientated.

They all work fine in edgy. This is not an upgrade but a fresh install.
                          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I may be blind but your (Fintan) scanner is not supported either at sane-project...

Guys, unsupported scanners are as their name implies: UN-supported.
                            So, these things will happen. Kernel upgrades will make the scanners unusable.

My scanner works just fine with Kooka, Xsane Quiteinsane and whatever else u want because if you look at Epson 4990 on the sane-project site you see the word "Complete" which means just that: it is completely supported.

I understand very well your frustration because I went through the same feelings. This is not windows and upgrades are not allways compatible with previous software. New libraries come in etc. and,
                            1. If the software you are using is unsupported then it will be left behind.
                            2. If the hardware you are using is unsupported (which means that nobody will make sure the driver stays compatible with new kernels) it will stop working.

I have accepted this situation and invested in a supported hardware. Getting frustrated will not get u anywhere. Either go back to edgy or buy a different hardware. If none of these is acceptable then format the drive and install Windows or Mac.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by metricus
                              I may be blind but your (Fintan) scanner is not supported either at sane-project...

Guys, unsupported scanners are as their name implies: UN-supported.
                              So, these things will happen. Kernel upgrades will make the scanners unusable.

My scanner works just fine with Kooka, Xsane Quiteinsane and whatever else u want because if you look at Epson 4990 on the sane-project site you see the word "Complete" which means just that: it is completely supported.

I understand very well your frustration because I went through the same feelings. This is not windows and upgrades are not allways compatible with previous software. New libraries come in etc. and,
                              1. If the software you are using is unsupported then it will be left behind.
                              2. If the hardware you are using is unsupported (which means that nobody will make sure the driver stays compatible with new kernels) it will stop working.

I have accepted this situation and invested in a supported hardware. Getting frustrated will not get u anywhere. Either go back to edgy or buy a different hardware. If none of these is acceptable then format the drive and install Windows or Mac.

Regards,

But with isane (like you said me before) should works(there is now isane driver for dx5000) and is not working!!! It's a known bug. There is no frustration there is only want to have a that bug solved. If not, i'll try to compile kernel myself disabling the wrong thing.

And i said that when i get working on Edgy i mailed to sane-devel saying this model working adding the id and product, they never said me anything about ok, i'll add that, or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X