This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem downloading Liquidweather for Superkaramba

Hi everyone. I'm new to Kubuntu, but have been using other distro's for several months. I really like this one and want to stay with it. One of my favorite things is Liquidweather for Superkaramba, I have installed it many times in other distro's but can't seem to get it in to this one. When I download it from its website, Kate opens and tells me that it is a binary download and saving it will result in a corrupt file. I usally just download the file and run it, have never seen this problem before.

Why does Kate want to open this file on download? The download link on the web page should simply download the file to my desktop but Kate won't leave it alone. Is she being bad? Thanks in advance for your help.

B

Re: Problem downloading Liquidweather for Superkaramba

I have same, I mean exactly the same problem ...

Comment

If you have superkaramba then just run it (K>utilities)and use the install local desing button to load it. If you don't have superkaramba follow this:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081970.0

Enjoy
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

That is how I install it. To install this particular applet in Superkaramba, by clicking on "install" it takes you directly to the Liquidweather homepage to manually download from a mirror. This is the only way to install it and it has always worked, but doesn't seem to in Kubuntu. I think the problem is that the file is trying to be opened on download by Kate instead of just downloading the file to Desktop, i.e., instead of just saving the file Kate is trying to open it as a binary file.

Could someone try to install Liquidweather++ in Superkaramba and see if they are getting the same problem that me and toga 34 are having. Thanks again.

B

Comment

I am looking at liquid weather right now and have been for at least two years

I don't know what you are downloading and why kate seems obliged to open it, unless of course you click on it. And why put it on your desktop?? Download it into a file like /home/yourusername/superkaramba.

Try this link to sowdload. I did it last night:
          http://liquidweather.net/downloads.php

So one more time; quote Fintan: "If you have superkaramba then just run it (K>utilities)and use the "install local design button to load it".

Good Luck

Comment

Gandolf,

When I open Superkaramba and I highlight "Liquidweather++" and choose "install", Konqueror opens and goes to the web page you have just included. I click on "Download from Mirror" (any of them) and the above referenced problem takes place (Kate opens, etc...)

In other distros I have done this to install and when I choose to "download from mirror" it does and I just choose to run it in Superkaramba, no problems.

I am doing everything as you and Fintan have described but it does not work the same way.

Now, I have one idea. If I right click on the download from mirror button, I see a choice to open with an advanced text editor, which is Kate. I think this is what is happening instead of downloading the install file, it is choosing to open the file with Kate by default instead of download. Does that make any sense?

That is what is happening it will not simply work as it should.

When you open Superkaramba and highlight Liquidweather and click "install" doesn't it automatically open a browser and go to Liquidweather home page?

Thanks again.

B

Comment

version 6.2..at the bottom..works

Comment

When I open Superkaramba and I highlight "Liquidweather++" and choose "install", Konqueror opens and goes to the web page you have just included. I click on "Download from Mirror" (any of them) and the above referenced problem takes place (Kate opens, etc...)
                That is very strange behavior.

Just for the hell of it I just rightclicked the one of the mirrors and did a copy the link adress and pasted that into my adress line in Firefox and it went straight to ask where I wante this to be downloaded.

Maybe that works.

Now, I have one idea. If I right click on the download from mirror button, I see a choice to open with an advanced text editor, which is Kate. I think this is what is happening instead of downloading the install file, it is choosing to open the file with Kate by default instead of download. Does that make any sense?
                No, unless... HMM are you using Frefox or Konqueror. If it is the later, mabe something in your settings is wacky.

I'll try that out and let you know.

EDIT: Yep, that is what my Konqueror does as well it opens up kate. Don't ask me why. I never use konqueror for bowsing the internat. Use Firefox and in preferences -> general tell it to ask before downloading.

I hope that helps.
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Use Firefox to open the link then it works .. had the same problem but used firefox instead

Comment

A really simple solution would be to step away from your computer and stick your head out your front door.
                    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

A bit off topic daffydk.
                      But that is a nice beryl demo on your home page. Unfortunately I cannot read danisch but maybe some day we could sit down with a beer or two and you can explain how you did that.

Very cool rockin' stuff
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks guys, I knew I wasn't going crazy. So, its a Konqueror thing! I never use Konqueror either, it just opens by default in Superkaramba.

Thanks again.

B

Comment

@BigB K->system config->standard programs->webbrowsres=firefox

Then just to be safe open a terminal and do:
                          sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
                          and choose firefox

Hope that helps

4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks. Firefox is now default. Liquidweather installed just fine. Now my wife is happy!

B

Comment

Open Konsole and type:

sudo nano /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config/konquerorrc

Scroll down to [Notification Messages] and change the lines askEmbedOrSavetext/plain and askSavetext/plain to yes.

Exit and save the file, then restart konqueror. The next time you try to download a superkaramba theme it will ask you if you would like to save it.

Comment

Working...
                              X