I've followed the instructions here:
    http://tuxicity.wordpress.com/2007/0...a-2-on-ubuntu/

but get an error on this command:
    sudo mv /path/to/thunderbird /usr/local/

The error is:
    mv: cannot stat `/path/to/thunderbird': No such file or directory

Can anyone assist?

Re: Installing Thunderbird 2 Final

Well the error is that there is no directory called: /path/to/thunderbird.

The /path/to means the path to the folder you downloaded TB 2.0 into.

I hate typing so i just opened up konqueror with alt+F" and typed kdesu konqueror apply then password. This will give you konqueror in sudo (root) now just copy the extracted folder "thunderbird" from the folder you downloaded it to into /usr/local. Follow the steps from there and your off

Of course you can replace /path/to/thunderbird with something like /home/"yourusername"/downloads/thunderbird/thunderbird that is the classic way of doing it. But I hate typos.

Anyway good luck and enjoy
    Cheers
    Fintan
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Looks good shame it's not smart enough or have the tools to import the 1.5 emails & settings

Cary
      The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

I know, the win version does that
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for the responses - I sort of came to that result by a round-about way. The thing I discovered is that I installed 7.04 after trying PCLinxOS TR3 and I must have hade Tbird 2 beta on that because it came up immediately with all my data!

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but now I have to get the links in the mails to open up anything, much less FB!

I did:
            sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

But that doesn't help.

Any ideas?

EDIT: you can import some stuff with tools-> import
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Some untested ideas, as I haven't installed TB 2.0, nor I'm planning to do it until it's on the repos.

A) Importing mails. Do you check that the thunderbird dir in your home dir. I mean the place where mails are stored have the same name for both thunderbirds. More clear, check for hidden dirs in your home. If there are two different ones with thunderbird in its name, then copy the older one to the new one, or link them.

B) Opening links. No sudo apt nothing is going to help you with a thunderbird installed from the mozilla site instead of a deb package. It's a known problem. I find this trick in arch linux forum:

In Thunderbird, click Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Config Editor. Right-click, and select New -> String. Type in

network.protocol-handler.app.http

and click OK. Then type in

firefox

and click OK. Repeat the steps from "select New -> String" with https instead of http, then restart Thunderbird.

Javier.

Comment

Thanks for the B. I remeber doing that around the days of hoary

I am not too woried about A because my mail folder is on a shareed partition and I always use the same one for the different TB's I've got and the add-on's for 1.5 are to the most part not prted to 2.0 anyway....yet. when they are all I have to do is install them from the TB folder on my share

As Always you are a treasure trove

cheers
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thank you. I was just about to install and read this thread.
                  TB 2.0 is great I love how it remembers where you want to move mails once you have done it befoere. The Tags are great as well. Now I'll be installing feisty from the final alt CD Thank you all, this is great forum, so much help

Comment

Originally posted by caryb
                    Looks good shame it's not smart enough or have the tools to import the 1.5 emails & settings
                    Thunderbird 2 will use all your settings from 1.5 provided it can see them.

The Ubuntu packaged version of Thunderbird keeps profiles in ~/.mozilla-thunderbird. The vanillla version of Thunderbird as downloaded from Mozilla keeps profiles in ~/.thunderbird. So if you were using Thunderbird 1.5 from Ubuntu repos, then you download Thunderbird 2 from Mozilla and just unpack and run it, it's not going to find your profile.
                    Solutions to this are either copy ~/.mozilla-thunderbird to ~/.thunderbird, or create ~/.thunderbird as a symbolic link to ~/.mozilla-thunderbird

Comment

I've tried moving thunderbird to usr/local/ but it won't let me.
                      Do I need to log in as root.I'm user 7.04 since last night and trying to get fixed up again

Comment

Originally posted by ashleycrue
                        I've tried moving thunderbird to usr/local/ but it won't let me.
                        Do I need to log in as root.I'm user 7.04 since last night and trying to get fixed up again
                        /usr/local is a system directory so you need to be root to write to it. Just prefix your mv command with sudo

Code:
                        $ sudo mv thunderbird /usr/local/
                        I'm guessing you're new to Kubuntu else you'd know about using sudo. If so I recommend reading https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo helps.

HTH,
                        mike

Comment

@ashlycrue: Yeah that is a must read!

You can also do this:
                          I hate typing so i just opened up konqueror with alt+F" and typed kdesu konqueror apply then password. This will give you konqueror in sudo (root) now just copy the extracted folder "thunderbird" from the folder you downloaded it to into /usr/local. Follow the steps from there and your off Grin
                          Alt+F2 and Kdesu is a nice command to use kate or konqueror as "root" (sudo)
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

thanks,
                            Yes I am quite new, I haveused sudo before with installing but commands and stuff I still have alot to learn

Comment

Working...
                            X