X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing Audio and Video Files

Hi,

I have just tried to run some MPEG Videos and MP3 Audio files and Kaffeine/Amarok will not recognize them.

From waht I have seen on the web I thought with codecs problems you would be prompt to download and install the required codacs automatically (or is this just for ubuntu/gnome). What really puzzles me with this is I have installed Automatix2 and installed the extra codecs.

From most of the other posts I have seen regarding this problem, it is recommended to install the libxine-extracodecs, which I already have installed.

Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks,

Gavin,
    Primary OS: Kubuntu Feisty Fawn, Secondary: WinXP Pro (Games Only)<br />Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz, 2GB RAM<br />ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256MB<br />15&quot; Widescreen Display (1280x800)<br />Pro/Wireless Network Card connecting to US Robotics 1908A Router<br />

Re: Playing Audio and Video Files

i hate automatix and don't use it. i have repos that provide everything i want that automatix does. read this tho:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
    <br />

Comment

Hi there

I know MP3 is out there there ogg which is a free encoder and has better compression than MP3. and iriver music players can play ogg files. I use VCL
      videolan media player on windows and linux . the link below will have info. to install it you will need to have most all the repositories in the sources list active
      and than do fetch updates. to edit the sorces list load up Adept manager at the top click on view repositories list. look for entrys in the list with deb in the front right click on them and enable each deb and deb-src. than click apply.
      than click view and than select view package list. now do the fetch updates
      thais is updateing the sources list. whe this is done search for VLC and select VLC and apply changes. I have had good luck with this program. once you load up the link wheel down to find VLC. it will install a entry in the multimedia folder on the kmenu.

here is a link that may help

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mu...a33cd59dc3a721

Comment

thats right, ogg is way better than mp3. it provides better compression AND better sound quality. but i wouldn't consider vlc on linux, i used it on windows, which was fine, but on linux kaffeine is the best imho.
        <br />

Comment

Only problem is ogg is not an option as my Creative Xen Player doesn't support ogg.

Anyway after installing the Codecs through Adept they now work, strange that they don't work when I installed through Automatix.

Thanks,

Gavin,
          Primary OS: Kubuntu Feisty Fawn, Secondary: WinXP Pro (Games Only)<br />Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz, 2GB RAM<br />ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 256MB<br />15&quot; Widescreen Display (1280x800)<br />Pro/Wireless Network Card connecting to US Robotics 1908A Router<br />

Comment

possible Reason that it did not work maybe had some missing dependencies that the automatix did not find since I never used it.

Is Kaffeine a good choice to play DVDs with I have to change out drives and add a DVD but I want to test see if DVD will play.

I will have to look up the codecs for kaffeine.

TTFN

Comment

check it following link on the forums
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=12938.0

good luck

Comment

Working...
              X