This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup or synch

Evening all, and I hope you've had or are having a GREAT day!

Simple question.

I'm a recent Linux convert from the Dark Side, around Xmas last year. One of the nice things that Uncle Bill could offer was the SynchToy utility under the PowerToys suite.

Is there something Linux based that does the same thing? I'm not looking for a formal back up program but something I can keep files in synch with.

I'm "backing up" to another Linux box, running Xandros Pro Desktop for the moment. It can see this Linux laptop and two other Doze boxes on my home network.

I've tried using the installed utility "Keep" but when it asks where I want to save to and offers Samba Shares it can't see the "server"

Any thoughts and thanks in advance!

Re: Backup or synch

I use rsync to keep some dirs on my laptop and desktop machine synchronized.

It works great, and has tons of possibilities, but it's a command-line tool. In some other threads of this forums some graphical alternatives had been discussed, but I can remind them.

Javier.

Comment

javierrivera

Thanks for that, just had a quick look and it looks complicated! I'd much prefer GUI...but you did warn me!

Comment

I have heard some good things about unison. But I never tried it.

It's avaliable on the repositories.

Javier.

Comment

rsync goes one direction while unison goes both directions between Linux boxes.

Comment

Working...
          X