Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gnome-terminal and Nvidia Xinerama don't work together - Fixed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gnome-terminal and Nvidia Xinerama don't work together - Fixed!

I can't say if this applies only to Feisty, because I have not tried both screens previously. This is on an AMD64X2 with 4 gig of RAM, and a Gforce 7600GT, kernel 2.6.20-14-lowlatency SMP PREEMPT (although I doubt that it is a kernel problem!), both screens 1600*1200.

If Xinerama is enabled, using the Nvidia settings tool, it kills gnome-terminal, but it works OK in twinview or with a single screen. Now although I am using Kubuntu, gnome-terminal is the best of the available terminals. It also kills the other one, "Terminal Emulator" (xfce4-terminal), however Konsole, which I do not like, works in all graphics modes.

I don't know if this is a problem for Nvidia, or the Gnome or KDE developers, as it is not immediately clear where the problem lies. Or indeed, if it can be fixed by a manual entry in xorg.conf?

I have just run another test, Synaptic, which I assume to be a Gnome application, runs OK, so it is not all Gnome apps that are broken on KDE in Xinerama mode, only some. Abiword and the Gimp are OK too. But two different terminals break......

It is not a complete show-stopper but a fix would be very nice. Or even a suggestion to try some more tests, to help localise the problem......

Addendum: Now fixed, see https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source....17/+bug/58232 I should have Googled first!

The fix is to put Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True" in each Screen section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I guess that the Nvidia setup tool should be reworked to do that automatically, as it is probably what most people use to edit xorg.conf.

But all seems OK now, and there don't seem to be any undesirable consequences of the fix.

Thank you very much, Paul W. Poteete!
Working...
X