This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Player plugin request everywhere

I got a strange problem, Firefox request to install Real Player plugin in almost every website I visit, even those don't use it, I don't know how to install the plugin I got the BIN file, but the download site doesn't provide info about it, my problem may be fix if I install the player.

This is the error I got it keeps prompting up :

Could not find an appropriate hxplay or realplay in the system path to use as an embedded player

How to I fix that ?
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Re: Real Player plugin request everywhere

I installed the realplay BIN to

/appl/RealPlayer

and got the following plugin

/appl/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so

In my home directory, I finally created the following link

r794@niesen:~/.mozilla/plugins$ ls -al
    total 12

lrwxrwxrwx 1 r794 r794 35 2007-04-05 18:35 nphelix.so -> /appl/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so

r794@niesen:~/.mozilla/plugins$

As I restarted firefox as user r794, firefox finds the realplay plugin link in ~/.mozilla/plugins$

and plays all real play files.

Right now, I have been looking for a "official" kubuntu realplayer package but failed to find it.
    Does it exist at all ? I thought, it should be in the "commercial repository" of kubuntu....

Any hints ?

Stefan

Comment

I never noticed this with Firefox. Just did an "aboutlugins" and it just shows the helix plugin mapped to the .rpm suffix, and none of the other real media formats, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Have you tried the "mozilla-helix-player" or "mozilla-mplayer" packages in the repositories?

I have "mozilla-vlc" installed, which I had assumed supported the real media formats. Guess not!

Comment

I ditched the realplayer, and have started just using mplayer, seems to work better.

Comment

I run FF in safe mode now the annoying prompt does not come out again, but when ever I install an extension the missing plugin prompt comes out and ask for Realplayer ! this happen on every website I visit, MAD >

Comment

lotech, can you give a couple of URLs where this happens to you? Maybe some of us can check it out to see if there is anything weird going on.

Another thought, maybe this has to do with some sort of site ads. You could try installing the "adware plus" extension and see if it keeps happening.

Comment

No this happen in every page I visit including my own one written in plan HTML, sorry forgot to mention I am using Linux

Comment

Look at the mime types.rdf file in .mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxx.default dir. You can rename the mimeTypes.rdf to something like zzz_mimeTypes.rdf and Firefox will rebuild the file. For what it's worth, I had a problem with vlc whereby I could not change the file association once set. Firefox always opened vlc. The solution for me was in the rdf file.

Have a look at this MozillaZine article about mime types: http://kb.mozillazine.org/MimeTypes.rdf

Comment

Done but no use still the same, I will take a look the file, but obviously this is a bug in FF I've the same problem on XP, why no one notice that !?

Comment

I reinstall everything with beta CD and upgrade to the latest but still have the same problem, I couldn't use the release desktop CD the installer exit at 80%, checked the CD no error found.

Comment

Working...
                    X