This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restart

Kubuntu just keeps getting better and better.

I've had a problem with the ability to restart since I upgraded to Feisty. It worked under edgy, but now the screen will go black but it never completely shuts off and reboots. I can do it manually but that defeats the purpose of using a restart feature.

Anybody else running into this and have any suggestions about how to fix it?

Re: Restart

A couple of days ago there was a post on a ubuntu forum that told how to speed up feisty. By any chance did you do what it suggested? I had the same problem after I changed some settings. I changed them back and it started working again.

Comment

I did not see that post. If I changed any settings to speed up feisty, I did it by accident. I'll look for the post and see if it gives me any ideas. Thanks.

Comment

http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2007/...-edgy-and.html

I couldn't find the original article, but found this on digg

Comment

I followed the link and tried as it suggested. It did NOT fix the restart problem nor could I perceive any appreciable difference in the speed of my applications.

Thanks for trying though.

Comment

I am having the EXACT same problem, it has been doing this since i did a clean install of Feisty where i hadnt even installed or even opened anything yet, when logged in i can shutdown, logout, switch users, hibernate, lock screen just fine, and at the logon screen i can shutdown and restart just fine, BUT if im logged in to kubuntu i cannot restart, normally when you restart it is supposed to logout and then show a black screen for like 2 seconds, and then it proceeds to a kubuntu boot screen showing how it is shutting down services and whatnot, and the bar goes backwards, (well you all know what im talking about), well if im logged into kubuntu and try to restart it logsout and then when it gets to that black screen that your only supposed to see for about 2 seconds, it just hangs there, and i have to hold the power button in on the front of my pc to forcefully shutdown the pc, funny thing though is that when im at the logon screen, i can hit restart and it will restart just fine, i only have a problem restarting when i am logged in, so currently in the condition im in, i have to log out of kubuntu, and then from the logon screen i can goto shutdown > restart and it will work fine, i have never had this problem using any of the previous versions of ubuntu or kubuntu, and just for test i grabbed ubuntu Feisty, and i didnt have this problem, it is only with kubuntu Feisty that i get this problem, i hope someone can fix this as its getting kind of annoying now.

Comment

I have the exact same problem... I had this problem in Dapper, Edgy and now in Feisty...

My problem is probably that I install all sorts of unauthorized software like acroread, Skype, Gaim, and Opera.. etc...

It's scary thought that people experience this on a clean install. AFAIK the only fix until now is to log out first and then restart. I have experience with shutting down all my apps before running a restart or shutdown, then it usually works.

Well I hope this will be fixed soon.

You could also put a shellscript on you desktop with:
              Code:
              sudo restart
              or
              Code:
              sudo init 0
              for shutdown

These commands will do what they are supposed to, but they will not save your current session why they aren't so good.
              Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
              CV and gallery at grn.dk
              Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Comment

Working...
              X