X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root password problem

Hi there,

I did not realize I got a stuck keyboard when installing the OS and luckily it passed the password check, then later on I know the problem when I do the apt-get, then I switch between a good keyboard and the stuck one to change the root password back to normal, now I can do apt-get and changing system time and couple other things, but I couldn't logon to admin. to change display setting, I think there may be other things I can't do too, strange thing is not all application not accepting my password, so what do I do now I don't want to reinstall the whole thing !
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Re: Root password problem

Kubuntu does not use a root password. It uses sudo, which allows the user to temporarily assume root privileges.

So by setting a root password, you've bypassed Kubuntu's normal functioning.

Normal functioning:
    User password - set by you; used for everything, including administrative tasks
    Root password - virtually nonexistent, used for nothing

What you've just set up:
    User password - still what you set up originally with the stuck keyboard
    Root password - newly created

So what you have to do is log in as root and change the password for your user:
    Code:
    su
    passwd lotech
    exit
    Substitute in your actual username for lotech.
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I could not logon to admin. to change display setting, but I can do apt-get, they are supposed to use the same password, right ? I created only one user so I must logon with it, I even changed the root user password to the same as my su password, but I still can't logon to system setting, anyway I will try, thanks !

Comment

The root password is the
        Code:
        su
        password, and I think that may be where you're confused.
        Code:
        su
        means switch user, and when no user is specified, it means switch to the root user.

To get things back to normal, this may help:
        http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sudo
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Thanks for the info. ! I just not get use to the Debian style I think better have a real root......

Comment

Originally posted by lotech
            I just not get use to the Debian style I think better have a real root ...
            Actually, a "real root" would be Debian style, other than *buntu (further reading) :P

Comment

Working...
            X