This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howto set root password getting permission denied

If I use sudo I get permission denied... as this shows...

dogface@NewGpaKubuntu7:~$ sudo uname -a > /usr/home/genisis/help
    bash: /usr/home/genisis/help: Permission denied

I created /usr/home/genisis but am unable to pipe the above to the file.
    I am using Kbuntu Fiesty Fawn 7.04 (just downloaded it)

Re: Howto set root password getting permission denied

Are you using the account you created at installation, or some other user account you've added since?

If it's the latter, you need to either add the user to the admin group, or add them to the sudoers file in /etc/sudoers.

I wouldn't recommend logging on as root, but if you did want to set the root password you would have to run (from the account you created at installation) "sudo passwd". That will run the passwd command as root - setting root's password to whatever you enter.

-J
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Originally posted by cat in a tree
      If I use sudo I get permission denied... as this shows...

dogface@NewGpaKubuntu7:~$ sudo uname -a > /usr/home/genisis/help
      bash: /usr/home/genisis/help: Permission denied

I created /usr/home/genisis but am unable to pipe the above to the file.
      I am using Kbuntu Fiesty Fawn 7.04 (just downloaded it)
      Ok, guess I didn't try hard enough....if you were like me and found that geting root permissions were a pain in the butt you probably didn't setup the
      root account... you need to do that with system adminstration and User accounts then after you have selected adminstration and gone through that you need to show the accounts for your userid, there you will find "root" you have to modify and enable that account. I made sure that it knew my root password and now I am able to perform the training that I was trying to do in
      copying information in the Help file...

Comment

Thank you so much for your timely reply... you are a great person. Looks like there is more than one way to do this.

Comment

Working...
        X