This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA problems

I'm trying to install NVIDIA on Feisty 5 with all updates, kernal etc... so I can run beryl or compiz. I'm dual booting edgy and feisty on same computer and have beryl working on edgy with NVIDIA successfully installed. The only way I could find to get Nvidia installed so it would work was by using automatix2. I tried suggestions I found in numerous posts as well as suggested ways at the beryl website. I've had both working on my laptop but it doesn't use nvidia, it worked with AIGLX. Since automatix doesn't seem to work on feisty as of yet I haven't found another way to make it work. I've went to the ENVY website but didn't see a way to install with feisty. From the posts I see some of you have been able to get it to work but the posts I've tried dont seem to work for me. My Graphics Specs:

NVIDIA Corporation NV18 [GeForce MX-nForce GPU]

Anybody have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated, not afraid to break the system as it's not my primary system. Edgy is at this time. Thanks in advance...

Re: NVIDIA problems

I followed the instructions here:
    http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/I...llation_Method

and it installed beryl and the Nvidia driver 'just like that' it was total magic.

Child
    http://www.last.fm/music/The+Pony+Collaboration

Comment

With an NV18 card, you will need to install the package nvidia-glx-legacy as the newer drivers do not support your gpu. I did have a geforce 440mx 64 mb card working with beryl at one time, but I gave that card away to a friend in need. it worked quite well actually. A GF440MX is a variant of the GF2 chipset.

Comment

thanks for your responses. Rothchild, I tried the link and followed directions, didn't work. Screen turns white after starting beryl. Claydoh, installed nvidia-glx-legacy and no dice. Screen flickers and thats it. It at least stopped the screen from turning while. Ran beryl from terminal and got this error message:

* Beryl system compatiblity check *

Detected xserver : AIGLX

Checking Display :0.0 ...

Checking for XComposite extension : passed (v0.3)
        Checking for XDamage extension : passed
        Checking for RandR extension : passed
        Checking for XSync extension : passed

Checking Screen 0 ...

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
        Root visual is not a GL visual
        Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
        beryl: Root visual is not a GL visual
        beryl: Failed to manage screen: 0
        beryl: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

Comment

Ok, have you made sure that your xorg.conf file is set up correctly?
          usually the error
          extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
          seems to indicate that glx (3d acceleration) is not enabled or not running for some reason

to check this, try the command
          Code:
          glxinfo | grep rendering
          if it says ''no', then you don't have OpenGL running yet, and beryl won't work

If your edgy boot works fine with beryl you can simply copy that xorg.conf file to your Feisty install.

Also, for feisty, beryl was just today added to Universe (w00t!!!) so I would suggest uninstalling anything beryl related, remove the beryl repo from your sources.list, reload and install the package beryl-kubuntu, beryl manager and maybe some of the new simpler config tools.

Comment

Working...
          X