X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest update

Hi,
    I have just installed the latest upgrades that were available for feisty this morning and I have some issues.
    My network refuses to start. I have wireless and for some reason there is a new entry in the networking setup called "wmaster0" (my usual is just plain ra0). I am not sure why it's there but it appeared after the upgrade (another level of complexity thats really needed). Also now when trying to start or configure the wireless network either from Knetworkmanager or system settings -> network settings, it does a lot of churning but nothing happens or I get some obscure ip and netmask and it doesn't detect the wireless router. I have tried to start dhcp and manually set an ip and it all fails. I also noticed that when I do "ifconfig" it shows "ra0:avahi" along with the normal "ra0" and "wmaster0". I believe the biggest problem is that it doesn't detect the wireless router anymore.
    I have managed to get around this by going back to a previous kernel (2.6.20-10-generic) from the new kernel (2.6.20-11-generic). With the old kernel I no longer have that "wmaster0" in the networking setup.
    I am not sure where the problems lies with this. There were upgrades to the kernel, and kde.
    Anyone run into this?

Re: Latest update

Sorry I get neither of these? I have a intel wireless card that shows up as eth1 & works perfectly! I'm up to date as we speak. Perhaps this might me systematic of your particular card?

Cary
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Wireless has been a PITA from the get go here. I am running feisty on a desktop system and using wireless as this is, more or less, a testing system removed from any type of hard wire connection.

Have not applied the above mention updates. However, each time I boot, I must use iwconfig to set up my essid & wep to get connected.

Not sure what happened from edgy to feisty but, as far as wireless is concerned a digression for sure.

Hope like the devil someone is working on getting this thing fixed.

Comment

Yes I to have had to "redo" my wiress after each reboot. This is different though. I can't seem to get this one going with the latest updates.
        I have to go back to previous saved kernel and then I get the old setup back and for now that works.

Comment

Hey ppberns,

I just got my wireless working and there are two things that you might try based on my latest experience.
          First, the file /etc/network/interfaces must contain only

<code>
          auto lo
          iface lo inet loopback
          address 127.0.0.1
          netmask 255.0.0.0
          </code>

KNM does not override any info that is in there, so if there is a mistake in that file you will never get KNM working even with all good settings. This is also the reason why i suggest to use only KNM and no longer the network tab in system settings.

Second, i learned that driver modules from other wireless cards can confuse your system if they are loaded. This sounds pretty much like your problem because an update may contain new modules and since everything works fine when you go back to the old kernel....
          Try to find the module that belongs to wmaster0 and 'modprobe -r module' is and add the module to you blacklist (/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-network) to prevent it from loading the next time you start up.
          You may need to restart the comp or at least restart the network.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks I will give this a try tomorrow. I'll post the results. I too was thinking along the lines of it being a module. When I have a working network, my iwconfig has a line like this in it:
            ra0 RT2500 Wireless (very first line)
            but when I have no network the line looks like this:
            ra0 IEEE 802.11g
            So it appears that something has changed.....
            I know I have never had any luck with anything IEEE and it looks like my luck is still running true.
            Thanks for the pointer.............

Comment

Well here's a followup. Nothing worked. I have "ifconfiged" and "iwconfiged" and vi'd /etc/network/interfaces and checked modules and even uninstalled the nvidia drivers all for nothing.
              From what I can see, the system is not even seeing the router. I can't see the network to connect to it.
              So for now I will just stay on the 2.6.20-10 kernel and stay away from the 2.6.20-11 cause thats where all my problems lie..........
              thanks to all who have tried to help.

Comment

Hi,

This is my second follow up for those who are following this thread. I removed Knetwork manager rebooted and after coming back up, I was able to use the wireless assistant to get connected. I then upgraded to kernel 2.6.20-12 and that went well. I then re-installed knetwork manager and then things started falling apart again. I lost my connection with my router and all knetwork manager would do is sit at 28% and just hang there. Yes I had an empty interfaces file (except for the lo lines). I then re-uninstalled knetwork manager and I had to reboot but I got my network back again.
                So I guess for me there will be no knetwork manager. I have only 2 little nits now and that is one I can't seem to get the networking to come up online when I reboot (I have to manually start it with wireless assistant) and with Gaim I have to change my status before it will connect to the network no matter what.
                Thanks to all for your suggestions and help.

Comment

I have knetworkmanger installed & working, on wired all is ok! but on wireless I have to give sudo password for it to work

Cary
                  The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Working...
                  X