This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdevelop 3.4.0 in Feisty Fawn

Kdevelop 3.4.0 is supposed to show string variables.

I installed Qt-4.2.3 from a Trolltech down load and kdevelop from Adept in Fiesty.

The only two other relevant items i have installed are "g++" and "glutg3", both required by Qt4.

I have run the "dpkg --configure -a", the "apt-get dist-upgrade" and the "apt-get update".

What other items do I need to get string variables decoded?

Except for the above problem, Feisty is first rate and trouble free.
    Thanks
    A helping hand has more than five fingers

Re: kdevelop 3.4.0 in Feisty Fawn

http://kdevelop.org/index.html?filen...uirements.html

Comment

UnicornRider why wouldn't most of the required support tools be the required version for kdevelop? Is it normal just to install newer versions of those tools by hand? Newbie questions I know, but my curiosity has gotten the best of me.

Comment

If you were up to using a version of a software factually not yet supported by Kubuntu, you would have to update all required packages by hand as well, that's correct - and the main reason why some folks prefer to stick to the versions available from the repositories (read: being already prepared to blend well with a "normal" Kubuntu system).

Comment

Ah I see. Thanks. I have KDevelop installed from the repositories. The version is 3.4.0 and I misunderstood that the reference page you posted applied to the repository version. Now I understand.

I'm a big fan of package management and pretty much always use the repositories unless I want to test something out. Thanks for explaining that.

Comment

Originally posted by FyreBrand
            The version is 3.4.0 and I misunderstood that the reference page you posted applied to the repository version.
            Nope - it's the reference from KDevelop "itself", which in turn equals the current "Feisty" version (for now, at least). This page, however, states that KDevelop refers to Qt 3 - and, as I understand it, not to the Qt 4 framework you're attempting to bring it together with ...

In other words, with all (!) related packages from the same repository, things are supposed to work "out of the box" (more or less - Feisty is BETA); on the other hand, mixing repositories as you have done it factually, is always a good way to keep yourself engaged ...

Comment

I'm not mixing any repos, except seveas and beryl which I pretty much understand what I'm getting involved with there. Everything you've explained is exactly why I stick with official repositories. I'm just not experienced enough yet to want to try and figure that out.

Trying to learn Kdevelop is enough of a curve for me along with improving my coding. I just don't have the headspace available to understand what different library versions imply. One thing I've loved about using Kubuntu (or any Ubuntu version really) is that, unless I dink around, it's very stable and the development tools work. This distro is a newbies dream (or at least this newbie) to develop with.

Comment

Originally posted by FyreBrand
                I'm not mixing any repos
                Sorry, my fault - Impeteperry was the one meant.

Comment

Working...
                X