This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Compiz/Beryl in Fiesty - Ubuntu defers Beryl plans Distrowatch News

This just released on distrowatch news...

"Ubuntu Speaking about upcoming releases, it seems that Ubuntu's new version, 7.04 "Feisty Fawn", won't come with as much eye candy as originally planned, after all. Those who hoped for a well-tested implementation of the various 3D desktop features with Compiz and Beryl will be disappointed as these have now been deferred to a later Ubuntu release, probably the one that will come out in the third quarter of 2007. From Ubuntu's Launchpad: "Feature specification: Composite (Compiz/Beryl) installed by default. Implementation Status: Deferred. There is no chance that this feature will actually be delivered in the targeted release. The specification has effectively been deferred to a later date of implementation.""

Personally, I think this is a very bad thing, not that I am all pro beryl/compiz as it does use more system resources and slows down browsers a bit. It is also, currently, not really productive in any sense. However, many distros like Sabayonlinux (beryl) and Foresightlinux (compiz) have options to install and turn them on at start. Lets face it, eye candy is what attracts people initially and as Apple and MS have demonstrated, now standard.

I hope they reconsider.

Re: No Compiz/Beryl in Fiesty - Ubuntu defers Beryl plans Distrowatch News

I hope they don't, eyecandy may attract people but I've used beryl for a while and it's still way too unstable to be used as default in a stable release.
    A lot of times it doesn't start up on booting, edges differ in size which makes the size of your applications quite ugly sometimes.
    I don't think it should be in this release yet, if people want it, it's easy enough to install it, there's plenty of howto's by now.
    I think (at least for kubuntu) they should wait until the next version of KDE comes out (KDE4, which will probably be before the next kubuntu release) and then hopefully KDE will have their own composite window manager which makes good use of the knowledge that is floating around now thanks to the beryl developers. Because the KDE team also a lot of plans to do great work on `useful eyecandy' in their upcoming release.

Comment

Much of this
      A lot of times it doesn't start up on booting, edges differ in size which makes the size of your applications quite ugly sometimes.
      has to do on with your distro. For some reason the *buntus do not support the 3d software very well. I have a Kubuntu system that will not run Beryl at all and compiz with some problems. Yet on another distro it works. So to hold it back is a good idea. For new users especially those new to Linux an experience like trying to get Beryl or Compiz working would be one of those affirmations in their minds that Linux is just to complex and buggy and there they go back to Windows. I see this decision as excellent forsight and planning.

Comment

I still think it is a shame not to include it. If you have ever tried Sabayonlinux (give the livecd a try) it comes pre-installed with the ati/nvidia drivers and a manager to either select XGL or AGLX on startup, 3D (beryl) activated at start. It is probably the only distro that I have seen where it works out of the box.

*ubuntu needs to take note.

I have run beryl on both my computers Kubuntu and Ubuntu edgy, and have never had a problem with either. The older computer is running an old nvidia ti 4200 128mb card and beryl is very fast. Oh well..

Comment

in my gamers opinion, i dont belive that too many gamers would want to waste sys-resources to have a 3d-desktop, for them the eye-candy is alredy in the games jejeje 8)

lets say in an cyber-cafe, x people whit x diferents desktops floating around trowing data around
          no more copy paste opening files adresses just move it to his desktop and drop it there
          even move your window over and use progs side by side

i belive it is a good idea to release it later with no bugs
          i dont think that the developers want to get new users whit a buggy eye-candy
          thats ms way of doing it

cheers nakrull

Comment

Beryl has been running fine for two weeks here -- the only bug is that it does not always auto-load. I'm getting used to flipping the cube around to get to the next app I want -- only need to open a couple of windows per "viewport" that way. The Aquamarine windows decorator doesn't run for more than 10 seconds, but that's another story ...

Observing how much abuse programmers get when a package isn't stable for everyone, I wouldn't blame them for holding back until it's proven solid. As long as we can get to it through the repos. 8)

Comment

i run beryl-svn since months and it works great!
              i only have an intel 855 chip and i don't see lots of resources wasted - even on my system (a notebook). i also had no problems at all to install it - nearly as easy as installing a program via apt-get. the only thing they had to do would be creating another xsession - which tells kde to use beryl as the default window manager. that's all

there are good howtos on beryl-project.org!

i say: it would maybe not necessary to enable it by default, but there could be a xsession that runs it - so the user could decide. that's not too much work as the vonfig tool cames already with beryl...

well, just a thought. i'm sure they have their reasons...

Comment

I think Beryl is the coolest thing to come to PCs since the USB Flash Drive. When I got it installed on my laptop I was showing it off to everyone i knew. I'm now looking at reinstalling because of the upgrade to fiesty. But I hope to have it installed by the end of the day. (still working on the dang wireless card!)

Since Beryl can be turned on or off, gamers could keep it off while running their high resources games, and turn it back on when they are just surfing the web, or working on that term paper, or when they want to impress their classmates 8) Also, if it isn't stable. Then turn it off. As long as this off/on feature is built into the distro that includes beryl, I don't see how resource usage can be an issue. What might be cool is to include a feature that will auto shut down beryl if resources get low. Maybe a message box pops up warning the user, "Beryl will close to free up system resources; Ok; Cancel" Cancel keeps Beryl running and OK would shut it down to free up those resources.
                Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Very sad IMO Feisty was supposed to be bleeding edge I was hoping for some eye candy just for show off value to convert some more Windows users I use Beryl & for the most it works with my ATI 7500 mobility card.

Cary
                  The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

I loaded beryl from the repos. It seems to work ok. Although I lose the title bar on my windows. I can't figure out how to get them back. If anyone can give a hint I would be grateful.

Comment

greenonion, you have the infamous "missing window decorator" problem -- there are a zillion posts about it here and on the Ubuntu Forums.

Because both Feisty and Beryl are beta software, things are prone to not working quite right. Personally I've never seen Beryl working better, but it was kind of painful getting my system to this point. Depending on which graphics chip you have, you need (a) a known-good installation of your graphics driver (the configuration utility should return no errors), (b) a good installation of Beryl + Emerald, (Beryl Manager returns no errors) and (c) some luck.

For newer Nvidia cards, the new nvidia-glx included with Feisty Beta is the way to go -- it has the 1.0-9755 driver and really flies.

HTH

Comment

I won't miss Beryl in Feisty if it's not rock-solid. Don't get me wrong I like eye-candy if it doesn;t get in the way but I just want to get onto the machine and do what I'm doing as efficiently as possible. Why? Because I'm short of spare time and after 30 years on computers the idea of "tinkering" to get something to work is losing it's appeal.

From what I've seen of Beryl it doesn't add anything to your productivity (just like Vista!), so it would only be a nice-to-have even if it was stable. I agree with the earlier poster about wanting to avoid things that make *buntu seem complex and buggy (another flashback to Vista!) - it only puts off new users.

Funnily enough the thing that makes me want to use my Kubuntu machine more than my Windows machine is the multiple desktops. Such a simple idea I nearly overlooked it but something I find is worth tem times Vista's page-flipping thingy.

Comment

I don't really have a reason to use beryl/compiz if resized window redraw is so much slower then kwin's; also I hate that text scrolling feels laggy

Comment

Originally posted by greenonion
                            I loaded beryl from the repos. It seems to work ok. Although I lose the title bar on my windows. I can't figure out how to get them back. If anyone can give a hint I would be grateful.
                            Try Rt Click on Emerald Icon (Beryl-Manager) in the task bar select reload window decorator. Works for me anyhoo.

I just Got Beryl working in Fiesty. And it seems pretty sweet. Especially since I finally got my graphics card and resolution issues fixed. I haven't had it crash or cause anything else to crash. The Water Drops effect was screwing with my screen saver. I only assume that both was tryin to draw on the screen at the same time. So I disabled the drops. I think the drops would make a way cooler screen saver. But with the turn off and disable features, if you do have conflicts Beryl wont aggrovate you for long, just turn of the feature.
                            Registered Linux User: 450747<br />Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Comment

Although bery runs fine out of the box on distros like Saboyan and PCLinuxOS 2007
                              I am not sorry that it will not be included in feisty, at least not until some of the problems mentioned here:
                              http://www.linuxtechdaily.com/2007/0...-beryl-merger/
                              are deffinately solved.

Ego hinders any prosses, personal relationships, politics, and not least, ceativity.
                              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                              X