Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

accessing public folders on Vista machines...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accessing public folders on Vista machines...

OK, I have three computers in here. One is running Vista Business (free through college! w00t! ), one is running Vista Home Premium, and one is Running Kubuntu 7.04. I like being able to swap files easily between the Vista machines, and I was wondering if its possible to make Kubuntu mimic the Vista Public sharing folders or something like them so that I can copy files to and from the Kubuntu machine from the Vista machines and vice versa.

Thanks!

Re: accessing public folders on Vista machines...

I'm not any where up to speed on this, but you need to install and configure SAMBA. I did it only once, but I don't have a running second PC at the house any more, so am not using SAMBA. But, if you search the forum on Windows and SAMBA you will find information.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Do I install SAMBA on windows or linux?

Sorry, nub.

Comment

Linux. Some links:

Samba Home Page
        Quick and dirty Samba setup Quote: "Most current Linux distributions, including Slackware 11, have Samba already installed and running after the system boots."

Take the time to scan the links information. It looks complicated, but it really isn't. I think you will find the second link most helpful, and the easiest to follow.

Comment

OK, i got a server running on a folder in my home directory. I've checked all the settings, but neither windows machine can pick up the linux machine, and the linux machine can see the windows machines, but can't access them, despite having the correct login information.

Comment

See if this will help.

Comment

Working...
            X