Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linksys wireless G Broadband router set-up?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linksys wireless G Broadband router set-up?

Hello there

Bought one of the above today so that I can share my connection with my brothers windows machine but I can't seem to get the wireless router to work? All the cables plug in correctly, if I right click on my little RJ45 icon in the bottom right of KDE i can see my Linksys connection (as well as my next door neighbours home network) so i choose mine, it says its updating etc and that its fine, but I try any website or p2p app and I get nothing?

Re: Linksys wireless G Broadband router set-up?

You probably need to configure your router. You should be able to open:

http://192.168.1.1

I believe that the defaults are:

login: linksys
    password: admin

Check your documentation to be sure.

Comment

if what the above person said don't work, try admin for the password and leave the username blank... Thats what i used for the last linksys router i had to setup.

Comment

Thanks! Where should I enter in that IP address and user/pass?

Comment

I changed this to the IP you suggested but I'm afraid there's no change, where should I enter admin/lnksys? Can't see any fields for it?

Comment

The configuration of the router isn't done in the wireless manager, it's done on the router it self. Open Konqueror and type the IP address into the URL line. You should get connected to the router and the Administration/Maintenance program.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks but that hasn't worked?

Comment

kubuntu doesn't even see my wireless router now?

Comment

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT-54G Setup & Usability

The pamphlet also tells you how to start up the browser-based tool, which is the only way for Mac and Linux users to set up their routers
                  Not to come across as condescending, but have you followed the instructions for getting the router set up initially? It needs to be properly configured if the wireless tools in Linux are going to have a chance at working with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Not to come across as condescending
                    Not at all, I appreciate you taking the time to help me

I did what you said and got into the browser based router set-up with the user name and password admin/admin (Hooray) but I haven't a clue what to change in there to get it working? there was a field for IP address so I entered my own static one in there and now its locked me out of the set-up and i can't access http://192.168.1.1 anymore!

So what it comes down to atm is I can no longer access the router set-up and wouldn't know what to change in there to begin with? (Not very good at networking, got people pestering me to get it working though)

One last thing, when ever im disconnected from the internet the little Cat5/RJ45 icon in the bottom right doesn't reflect that? It stays the same as if it were connected, and the very first time i plugged my new wireless router in it showed up in the right click menu for it and i could select it - now there's nothing there for wireless?

Once again I appreciate your help and I've read both panthlets that came with it now and they don't seem to cover this?

Tried reset on the router and rebooting with no luck?

Thanks again,

Rob

Comment

UPDATE:

being the networking guru that i am, i figured out the reset button must be held in for 5 seconds, this has allowed me back into the set-up controls, still not sure on what to enter in though - I'm in the UK with a cable connection and my ISP is NTL (who might be called Virgin now as I believe they were bought out recently? Might have just been their cable TV tough, not sure))

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6...apshot4sl1.png

Comment

Assuming your ISP help desk has people who are knowledgeable in their jobs, give them a call and explain what you are trying to do. They should be able to give you the information you need to get everything set up. You will loose nothing in the effort except the phone call.

Comment

SOLUTION!

Called my ISP who were as useful as boobs on an old lady, then gave Linksys support a call and they sorted it out in under 5mins!

They got me to go into the set-up as described above, clone the MAC address, enter a 10 digit wep key, reboot my modem and router and then that was that, worked straight away!

Comment

Glad you got this issue put to bed. So remember to add your ISP help desk to your linux toolbox.

Comment

Working...
                            X