Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attempts to save modified smb.conf file refused...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attempts to save modified smb.conf file refused...

Trying to save a modified smb.conf file so that I can access kubuntu box FROM an XP box (adding some code to allow encrypted passwords is all...).

But it says that I don't have permission or something to save a modified smb.conf file.

How do I tell it that I'M the effing root and to let me do it? I can't change the file attributes either cause they're greyed out.

Why doesn't Kate automatically ask for the root password in these cases? Jeeeezzzz.

Any info vastly appreciated..........

BTW - what is the best KUBUNTU tutorial out there - for the (very) average person, not a PhD IT person?

Re: Attempts to save modified smb.conf file refused...

Try:

kdesu kate /etc/samba/smb.conf

It will ask for your password. I agree it can be annoying.

Comment

kdesu /etc/samba/smb.conf

Could you tell me what that means, please?

Comment

It means I am a dope who gets in a hurry. I corrected it. It will run kate as superuser to allow you to edit and save a file owned by root. Use kdesu for kde apps and sudo for command line apps.

Comment

Originally posted by lingenfr
          Try:

kdesu kate /etc/samba/smb.conf

It will ask for your password. I agree it can be annoying.
          To do this you go kmenu>run command and then type the above into the box that appears.

Comment

System files that are owned by other than the user can not be edited by a normal user. kdesu kate [path/file] when issued by the first user (that who installed *ubuntu) is asked for their password. When correctly entered, the system validates the user as one with the right to be given temporary 'superuser' rights. This allows (in this example) kate (editor) to execute as root and open the requested file. Editing and saving of the changes can now be accomplished.

kdesu [command] is used from the CLI when the [command] is a GUI application. You use sudo [command] from the CLI when executing a non-GUI application.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by rmckim

BTW - what is the best KUBUNTU tutorial out there - for the (very) average person, not a PhD IT person?
              Beginning Ubuntu Linux by Keir Thomas has been a great help for me. It doesn't cover KDE of course, but it covers everything about your Linux system underneath the Desktop Manager, including the package manager, the bash shell, and a lot of filesystem management stuff. I keep it close.

Comment

Working...
              X