This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't browse over local network

I used to be able to see shared folders on my other pc with WindowsXP on it, but now when installed Ubuntu with KDE (it was Ubuntu with GNOME before) i try to browse samba shares, i get a message saying that no computers were found on the network, and that it might be a firewall problem-

I do not have any firewall. It was working very good with Gnome. When I installed the ubuntu (gnome) I just browsed the network (I did not had to do any configurations to make it work). But now, with KDE, I don't know what to do...

It will be great if anybody can help me !
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Can't browse over local network

The firewalls in question would be on the Win XP machines, not on the Kubuntu machine. You have to turn it off on the Win XP machine (and it's not exactly obvious -- there are about 3 places you have to dig into and change to get the job done).

Comment

Oh, no. It's not a firewall on the WinXP machine. Just yesterday I was using the ubuntu gnome and it was OK. Today I installed the ubuntu kde and now it is not working. I don't see anything in "Samba Places". It is writing "Unable to find any workgroups in your network. This might be caused by an enabled firewall".
      But may by the Samba is not working properly

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Well, I'm not a Samba expert, by any means, but did you compare the /etc/smb.conf files, and make sure it's the same setup? Or, are you saying it is the same Linux machine, and all you did is bring in the kubuntu-desktop package to use instead of Gnome?

To see my Windows machine here on my 2-node home LAN, I run Konqueror and put smb:/ on the URL line, and then it will bring up my "workgroup" of 2 computers. How are you trying to view the workgroup?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Well, I'm not a Samba expert, by any means, but did you compare the /etc/smb.conf files, and make sure it's the same setup? Or, are you saying it is the same Linux machine, and all you did is bring in the kubuntu-desktop package to use instead of Gnome?

To see my Windows machine here on my 2-node home LAN, I run Konqueror and put smb:/ on the URL line, and then it will bring up my "workgroup" of 2 computers. How are you trying to view the workgroup?
          It's the same machine, but I needed to do format and to install from zero.
          When I used gnome, I did not do any changes in smb.conf. It's was working as is after installation.
          And yes, when I type smb:/ in Konqueror it is bronging me the message that there is no workgroups in my network.... What should I write in smb.conf ?

Comment

There's a line in /etc/smb.conf for the name of the workgroup. I think the default is "MSHOME". If yours is different than that, you definitely need to change that line. I'm not sure about other Samba settings -- it's all rather "black magic" to me -- I think I was just lucky to make it work on my little home LAN.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              There's a line in /etc/smb.conf for the name of the workgroup. I think the default is "MSHOME". If yours is different than that, you definitely need to change that line. I'm not sure about other Samba settings -- it's all rather "black magic" to me -- I think I was just lucky to make it work on my little home LAN.
              Yah, I know - but I've never changed that configuration file before.
              Can you write me . what is in your file, please. I'll try to cut and paste it into mine. thanks.

Comment

Here's the "Global" section -- note the "workgroup" name that needs to match what your Win XP machines have.

Code:
                #======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]

## Browsing/Identification ###
                	log file = /var/log/samba.log
                	log level = 1
                	netbios name = FLUFFYGERBIL
                	security = share
                	socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY 	
                # Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
                workgroup = WORKGROUP

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
                server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
                # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable its WINS Server
                ;  wins support = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
                # Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
                ;  wins server = w.x.y.z

# This will prevent nmbd to search for NetBIOS names through DNS.
                dns proxy = no

# What naming service and in what order should we use to resolve host names
                # to IP addresses
                ;  name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast

#### Networking ####
                Hope this helps!

Comment

I see now, that my smb.conf is "corrupted" - there is no lines of workgroup, server string and etc. Don't know why...

Comment

Is there a backup? I think I have the default smb.conf that Gutsy installed backed up. Actually I probably have the one for Feisty too.

Comment

Thanks ! It seems to be working now. Just edited a few lines.

Comment

If it works great. In Feisty (KDE) stay away from the GUI samba setup and configuration as it corrupts the smb.config.
                        They add the line:
                        msdfs proxy = no
                        which corrupts samba.
                        It is a bug with feisty and has been dealt with in Gutsy so you may consider upgrading.
                        There is bugreport to that effect on launchpad.

Just as a reference here is my smb.config:

[global]

workgroup = FINTANHOME
                        interfaces = eth0
                        map to guest = bad user

[Data]

path = /Data
                        read only = no
                        guest ok = yes
                        case sensitive = no
                        strict locking = no
                        force user = fintan

[HP880C]

printing = cups
                        path = /var/tmp
                        printable = yes
                        guest ok = yes
                        guest only = yes
                        This is a config with no login and passwords. You may want to change that to your needs.

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                        X