This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't stay connected to the internet to save my life

I installed kubuntu feisty on my son's computer, a Compaq desktop with AMD sempron, ATI Radeon x200 video card and Realtek ethernet and I'm having some problems.

But first and foremost, it will not stay connected to the internet. To get it to connect I have to right-click on the knetwork manager on the panel chose options> connect on start up. then it will connect for about ten seconds, then disconnect. So I have to do that again to get it to re-connect.

Any clue how I can fix this?

Re: Can't stay connected to the internet to save my life

If this were one of my machines, I'd completely (read: purge-) remove this "network manager", then (re-)set up the interface by means of KDE's own Control Center (to be accessed via [Alt][F2] kdesu kcontrol), and try again ...

Comment

I have to admit, even though I've been using Kubuntu for a while now I don't know how to do that

I took a look at the kdesu kcontrol panel and messed with the sliders in the network settings (that didn't work) but I don't know how to purge and rebuild the network settings.

in pci it says my ethernet is a Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
      Which on their website it says the driver for that is already in the kernel so I can't download a driver to try and install it either.

Comment

I removed knetwork manager and set a manual IP in the system network settings based on my other Kubuntu system (giving it it's own # in the last 3 digits) but that didn't work either.
        And it's not the router or the plug cuz I physically switched it with my other kubuntu computer and it hooked up and connected just fine.

Comment

Working...
        X