This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba & Print Sharing

I have an HP OfficeJet attached to my Kubuntu desktop. However, when trying to get a Windows client to add the printer, it is not found. But, if I search the network, it finds the printer on my Ubuntu server!

When I use the CUPS admin console through my browser, the server correctly points back to the Kubuntu box. Printing works, with a bit of delay.

Is that expected behavior? Will a re-install of Kubuntu correctly share out the printer from the desktop?

Thanks.
    Ernie
    Ernie Grossmann<br />Opening doors, closing Windows.......<br />AMD Athlon X2<br />Asus K8, 2 GB PC 3200 RAM<br />Using Kubutu 10.10

Re: Samba &amp; Print Sharing

For starters, you may check that in CUPS (http://localhost:631/admin) the "share printer" option is set.

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
      For starters, you may check that in CUPS (http://localhost:631/admin) the "share printer" option is set.
      Just doubled-checked to be sure, but I already had the "Share published printers connected to this system" box checked. When I view the list of printers, each printer has a "Unpublish Printer" button -- so I believe they are "shared".

When I look at the CUPS admin page on the server, the desktop's printers are listed (the "Device URI" belongs to the desktop) but I do have the same options checked.

I don't understand why the server is sharing the printer on not the desktop.

Ernie Grossmann<br />Opening doors, closing Windows.......<br />AMD Athlon X2<br />Asus K8, 2 GB PC 3200 RAM<br />Using Kubutu 10.10

Comment

You may have to "explicitly" install & configure the server parts of Samba (?).

Comment

You may have to "explicitly" install & configure the server parts of Samba (?).
          That must not be through System Settings or Kcontrol because I (believe) everything is set properly there. Any info on how I would check/configure the *server* portion of Samba?

Comment

Code:
            [sudo] apt-get install samba samba-common

Comment

Code:
              [sudo] apt-get install samba samba-common
              Already installed:

Code:
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              samba is already the newest version.
              samba-common is already the newest version.
              0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
              Also, /etc/samba/smb.conf was configured according to info I found on the web. But I'm unsure about the *server* side you mentioned.

I'm planning a re-install soon; perhaps that is what is needed to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by ernieg92
                already the newest version
                O.k., then please make sure the daemons in charge are present:

Code:
                [sudo] ps aux | grep -v 'grep' | grep 'smbd'
                [sudo] ps aux | grep -v 'grep' | grep 'nmbd'
                --

Further reading: Samba Manual

Comment

Working...