Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D-Link DWL520+ Can't connect to Access Point ("...association failed...")

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D-Link DWL520+ Can't connect to Access Point ("...association failed...")

Hi,

I'm new to Kubuntu (7.04), first I wanted to try it without installing - I'm booting from CD.
    But I can't establish a connection with my Access Point, whereas with WinXP I have no problems.

The network card seems to be supported, system shows my AP, I can list other APs in my neighbourhood.
    Mine is NOT secured with WEP, as far as I know it only verifies the MAC address of my card.

What I could see in the system log is that it is tries (but fails) to associate with my AP. I set-up
    TCP/IP parameters (IP, mask, GW, dns, etc.), but this does not matter if my connection with AP is
    not yet established (correct?).

Can you suggest anything? What should I check? Any parameters to change for my wlan card?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

Re: D-Link DWL520+ Can't connect to Access Point ("...association failed...&quot

Well, no reply from you, but I managed to connect to my AP and my wifi network...

Just reading error messages in syslog does not help, they are too numerous and misleading.
    First, I tried to set-up network parameters in KNetworkManager (in icon tray), but they seemed not to
    work. When I looked in the terminal window they were not implemented. I used "iwconfig wlan0"
    and "iwlist wlan0" commands. Just my essid (network name) was not remembered and I could not
    "associate" with my AP. iwconfig showed large (and increasing) number of "tx excessive retries".

Then, I tried other things - started to configure all settings "manually" in the terminal. And this HELPED!
    What I needed was:

Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid <my_essid>
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 rate auto
    (when I tried 11M, my connection with AP was lost)
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 channel auto
    (to connect to AP with best signal)

Then I could see (with iwconfig wlan0) that tx excessive retries stopped increasing and AP was connected
    (AP showed a value, instead of "Not asscociated"). This meant I had a link with my AP and needed to
    configure the network interface only (IP parameters).

This next step was much easier. Just use ifconfig to set address and netmask values (broadcast is calculated
    of these two):

Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan 0 192.168.x.y netmask 255.255.255.0
    Add default route (thru my wlan0 interface) - to my gateway:

Code:
    sudo route add default gw 192.168.x.1
    Now I could ping my gateway and my dns servers. I don't know why, but I did NOT have to fill in
    my nameservers. They were automatically added to /etc/resolv.conf file. Even better for me
    Anyway you can add it if needed in this file - enter nameservers' IP addresses one per line:

Code:
    nameserver xxx.yyy.zzz.vvv
    nameserver sss.[url]www.xxx.aaa[/url]
    (No more than 3).

Now I could ping - also by name - any host and get new packages from Internet.

However, the story has not ended yet! Well I can ping, I can find names of hosts, I can use lynx browser
    (after installing it), but Konqueror does not work as it should. It does not open any webpage. It always
    shows only text error - something like "error while downloading" (I don't remember it now).
    But it shows the correct icon of the web page - in the address bar! It just does not want to download
    the page content.
    And it seems the same error is in other KDE applications. WHY?
    I installed firefox and it worked OK.

Can you help me resolve this above question, or do I have to do it again on my own...?

Comment

Working...
    X