This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bandwidth limitation per network card

Okay i have 3 network card on my pc and each one is connected to the net trough a router with fixed IPs
    eth0 192.168.1.8 to browse internet
    eth1 192.168.1.9 for ktorrent
    eth2 192.168.1.10 for ftp server

i wanna know how i can limit the speed for induvidual network cards and also get aplications to use specific card only so when i am browsing internet or using skyp/msn i wanna use eth0 while ktorrent using eth1 and ftpserver running on eth2

Re: bandwidth limitation per network card

I don't know enough about Kubuntu to explicitly answer this, but I'll provide what I do know that is relevant.

There are several layers through which a network application can recieve a choice of card. They occur in this priority:
    -Application Decides
    -OS Decides
    -BIOS Decides

I don't believe that the BIOS one is common, if existant, but it is possible, likely on some server hardware.

Certain applications, such as many games on Windows, like Empire Earth, allow you to select a network card to work through. In this case the outcome is obvious.

When the OS decides, one of several things can happen, depending on the OS:
    -The traffic is broadcast on all cards (combines them into one card, uselessly).
    -The traffic is intelligently divided among the cards (Configurable on Windows, not sure about *nix).
    -The traffic is routed through the most available card.

I'm not sure which the case is for each app you use or Kubuntu, but that's what I know about the subject. There may be other options I didn't think up, as well.

GL

Comment

it seems like only way of doing this is creating virtual machines in the machine.sp if i create 2 virtual machines in the machine 1 for ktorrent 1 for ftp server and give 200 mhz processor speed and 256 mb to each one will it effect my desktop peformance on following hardware

AMD Athlon 64bit 3000
      1.0 GB DDR memory

Comment

Yes, because if you use 256*2/1024, you're left with 512MB RAM. Virtual machines aren't the way to go. If you have a DNS server you can tell it to address all IPs as the same host, and then route traffic through the name so that it'll distribute properly.

Comment

Working...
        X