X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting NTFS partition via NFS... How?

Ok, folks, the following problem...

I got my NFS working, basically... This means that I created the folder /sharedFiles on the server machine and I can successfully mount it on my client machine. But when I try to mount another partition /media/sda2 it fails:
    Code:
    stan@stan-notebook:~$ sudo mount 192.168.2.146:/media/sda2 /sharedFiles
    mount: 192.168.2.146:/media/sda2 failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
    ...and I get this mistake.

Now, this partition is in NTFS and I have the NTFS Configuration tool installed on both machines and that /media/sda2 is mounted as rw. So I'm just lost here... Why doesn't it work?

The contents of /etc/exports on the server machine from which I'm trying to mount the partition are:
    Code:
    /sharedFiles/ 192.168.2.131(async) \
    	 (async) \
    	 *(rw,async,no_root_squash)
    /media/sda2/ 192.168.2.131(async) \
    	 (async) \
    	 *(rw,async,no_root_squash)
    So mounting that /sharedFIles is working perfectly but not the /media/sda2.

So any idea? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,
    Stan

Re: Mounting NTFS partition via NFS... How?

Noone knows? is it not possible?

Comment

One of the things that I've noticed is that with the release of Feisty, a lot of things have been simplified. However, few folks know about it and most times, read howto's that are years old (nothing wrong with that) and get stuck.

Ok, cleared and said it. Now, on to your problem. I don't have NFS using as I have a mixed network. However, I do notice that the very same method of 'simplified sharing' applies to both SAMBA and NFS. Have you tried that simplified method? What I mean is, have you tried right clicking on the drive/folder in question, select "properties" then click on the "sharing" tab, log in using your password and enable it for NFS making sure if you want to write to it that "writeable" is selected?

That's how simple it has become. All the editing of configuring scripts and conf files are done in the background by the system for you. Give that a go.
      Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Hey, Princey...

Yeah, actually, I´ve tried that... I set all the needed permissions and it still doesn´t work.

The thing is, that when I´m trying to mount some other folder via NFS it all works flawlessly but when it comes to mounting a mounted NTFS partition it fails. I don´t know why...

I have the NTFS support (ntfs-3g) installed on both of my machines, I have no idea what could possibly be the problem...

Or is there another way of mounting folders? I mean, I do this in terminal the way I showed in my first post. Or maybe I should just try Samba...

Comment

As I said earlier, I'm not familiar with the NFS networking system (just haven't found the time to read up on it). However, I think a work around might be possible. Try this and let me know if it works. Seeing that one shares is seen, we can mount the drive in question within that share.

1. Create a directory in the shared folder. In the konsole, type
          Code:
          cd sharedFiles
          followed by
          Code:
          mkdir Windows
          Note, you can substitute Windows for any other name you'd like.

2. Next, is to edit your fstab file, but first make a backup in case things don't work out.
          Code:
          sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab_backup
          then type sudo kate /etc/fstab

3. Change the lines
          /dev/sda2 /media sd2
          to read
          /dev/sda2 /home/shareFiles/Windows
          4. Save and exit. Then type
          Code:
          sudo umount /dev/sda2
          followed by
          Code:
          mount /dev/hda2
          5. Reboot just as a precaution and see if it works.
          Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Tried that - still the same results... :|

I think it has something to do with the fact that the partition that I´m trying to mount over NFS is mounted itself, it´s not the actual folder but a folder which something else is being mounted into.

No idea how to make this work... Anyway, thank you for your help!

Cheers,
            Stan

Comment

You may want to take a look at the following:

http://czarism.com/node/1066/print (This one is from 2yrs back but still deals with mounting ntfs drives in ubuntu)

http://swik.net/mount+Ubuntu

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
              X