X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fiesty & Windows XP = Samba

Originally posted by shane2peru
    ok, that did it!!! I can read/write, and everything I need to do. Not sure I could write a how-to on it, but it is working. Thanks.

Shane
    Glad to be of service. I was thinking of writing a simplified SAMBA how to, later on today seeing so many run into problems because they the long way of conf editing when it has been GREATLY simplified, and that's an understatement here.
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Re: Fiesty & Windows XP = Samba

Glad to hear it. Here is my smb.conf and I just add shares via KDE and then remove all the bogus crap so it looks the same as [shows]. I do not have passwords or users setup, since this is a home network there is no real need. Also, I am able to access XP shares, manipulate files, and can manipulate files on the nix box via XP. Also, since XP Pro can't; won't, share printers with XP Home, my nix box is my print server.

Again, glad it worked, mine is just a "down and dirty get 'er done" solution. Thanks again to Unicorn Rider for his help.
      -cheers-
      p.s. Cheers as in ale, not pom-poms 8)

[global]

workgroup = EDSNET
      interfaces = eth0
      map to guest = bad user

[Epson]

printing = cups
      path = /var/tmp
      printable = yes
      guest ok = yes
      guest only = yes

[SHOWS]
      path = /home/ed/Shows
      guest ok = yes
      read only = no
      case sensitive = no
      strict locking = no
      Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

Re: Fiesty &amp; Windows XP = Samba

Wow, TedNigma, that is spartan! Is that your whole smb.conf file? So what does that produce? It looks like the folder "/home/ed/Shows" is shared out with Samba, and with guest=yes, anyone can see it who connects. So did you set up the folder "/home/ed/Shows" with read/write permissions for everyone (777)?

So if I understand this right, anyone sitting at an XP box can open their network neighborhood and see your Kubuntu box and its folders. And they can open those folders and modify the files in them. Regardless of who they are logged in as at the XP box. And you didn't have to dink around with Samba users and Kubuntu users and all that? Wow, I agree that this would be the perfect solution for a home network where you pretty much trust everyone in your family and don't have time for all the extra configuration crap. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by TedNigma
          Glad to hear it. Here is my smb.conf and I just add shares via KDE and then remove all the bogus crap so it looks the same as [shows]. I do not have passwords or users setup, since this is a home network there is no real need. Also, I am able to access XP shares, manipulate files, and can manipulate files on the nix box via XP. Also, since XP Pro can't; won't, share printers with XP Home, my nix box is my print server.

Again, glad it worked, mine is just a "down and dirty get 'er done" solution. Thanks again to Unicorn Rider for his help.
          -cheers-
          p.s. Cheers as in ale, not pom-poms 8)

[global]

workgroup = EDSNET
          interfaces = eth0
          map to guest = bad user

[Epson]

printing = cups
          path = /var/tmp
          printable = yes
          guest ok = yes
          guest only = yes

[SHOWS]
          path = /home/ed/Shows
          guest ok = yes
          read only = no
          case sensitive = no
          strict locking = no
          You mean just a network without Internet right? I mean seems like this would not be safe with an internet connection to allow anyone to have access to your files? Especially if you have a wireless router, then truly anyone with a wireless device walking by could see, and modify your files. Or am I misunderstanding the security threat here? I'm probably a little paranoid here but better safe than sorry.

Shane
          John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Comment

So if I understand this right, anyone sitting at an XP box can open their network neighborhood and see your Kubuntu box and its folders.
            Yeah, as stated, I am the only 'nerd' in the family. The wife and kids are 'users'. besides, it's just a 'download' directory anyway, nothing 'special'.

You mean just a network without Internet right?
            Nothing is 'shared' via the web. ShieldsUp says I am 'true stealth', and also nothing is shared unless Samba is running. And yes, it's not started automatically on purpose.

Far as Wi-Fi, I've got it pretty well sealed up I think. No SSID broadcast, WPA and MAC filtering, and my key is longer than 20 chars.
            Dell SC1425<br />1 Xeon 3GHZ CPU<br />1GB ECC-DDR2 RAM<br />Onboard ATI Radeon 7000-M&nbsp; w/ 16MB Fixed/unshared RAM<br />Dual 82541Gl Gigabit Nic&#39;s<br />DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo<br />73GB SCSI Drive.<br />Never got Compiz to run properly on the ATI, but that is secondary of course.

Comment

That was an exciting interchange. I am a rookie of rookies, but am interested in achieving the same result. I will read this post carefully and see if I can get the proper result using GUI, which seems the best approach to get everything functioning. If it looks like more than I can handle, would you be willing to place an ordered GUI instruction for a newbie, where I can step by step follow the instruction. After everything works, I will return to my copy of this post and learn to understand the Root method. I too desire to know what I am doing, but am obviously way below on the learning curve. Thanks in advance for any help you may give me. I promise to spend time each day passing the things I learn on to others who need the same help, in repayment for any kindnesses you extend to me. Most cordially, Steven Vollom, fine-artist and new Kubuntu OS user.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai
                That was an exciting interchange. I am a rookie of rookies, but am interested in achieving the same result. I will read this post carefully and see if I can get the proper result using GUI, which seems the best approach to get everything functioning. If it looks like more than I can handle, would you be willing to place an ordered GUI instruction for a newbie, where I can step by step follow the instruction. After everything works, I will return to my copy of this post and learn to understand the Root method. I too desire to know what I am doing, but am obviously way below on the learning curve. Thanks in advance for any help you may give me. I promise to spend time each day passing the things I learn on to others who need the same help, in repayment for any kindnesses you extend to me. Most cordially, Steven Vollom, fine-artist and new Kubuntu OS user.
                Everyone is new to Linux at some point in the game. Two things to remember.
                1. Forums are your friends And the search function is especially usefull.
                2. Be willing to learn.
                3. Be patient.

As far as the Networking, it should be fairly simple with the GUI. As was stated just open up Konqueror, and find the folder you want to share and right click on it and select Properties, then select the share tab. You should be able to play around with that without ever having to open the command line. You may need to install samba though if it is not installed. That is simple enough through adept though. If you need any help just ask.

Shane
                John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Comment

hhhmmm.. The only 'gui' I know of is Webmin. Here is a tutorial of how to get it installed. Here It can control all kinds of servers, samba, apache, and a ton of other stuff.

When I ran my BBS from home I used it. However, I've no need for it; yet, so I've not set it up in Feisty. Hopefully the tutorial will help.

GL!

Comment

Working...
                  X